Non-Battery Horizontal/Venetian Blind Lift & Tilt

jeditekunum

Looking for recent info on this.

Anyone using a hardwired motor to do lift and tilt for relatively large horizontal/venetian wood blinds?

It seems Somfy can do this with two separate parts - the normal tube for lift and a separate tilt motor (which seems to be intended for battery use).

Supposedly Lutron Savoia QS can do this but info is sparse. Likely requires an expensive dealer/integrator and a Homeworks QS system which I don't want.

I'm not sure if you can tilt and raise with somfy. I believe you can have one or the other.

Sivoia QS Venetian is only system I'm aware that can do this. Each blind will run ~2.5K (crazy).

Qmotion teased of a unit but it's still in R&D and may never hit the streets.

I think this is a unicorn and one reason why lutron can charge what they are. I would gladly buy in at half the cost, but that's not happening.

Anyone else have insight?

Wow. Definitely falls into the category of If you have to ask... Also explains why there is so little info on the net. Really wish more mechanical stuff would become available in the mid-range market. $500 for a casement window motor is another.

I guess I'll have to figure out how to make my own. I've seen others that have done something at the very low end with servos and other stuff just hanging off the front of the blinds - I'm not interested in that; I need clean looking thing that can haul big wood blinds.

I'm confident I can make the control system as I'm moderately experienced building embedded microprocessor stuff and making surface-mount PCBs. The mechanical part would be new for me.

The mechanical stuff should be possible using parts from https://www.servocity.com

Something to note about somfy: RTS isn't a two way system so you won't gave position feedback.

I'm also not sure how synchronized the kinds will open or tilt. When batteries are low on one and fully charged on another - will they both move to same position at same speed.

This may sound nit picky but matters to some.

You don't have to use batteries with Somfy. I ran the wires and used a 12v power supply for all of my blinds.

BTX in Dallas used to do a conversion of blinds to both a lift and tilt.  I don't know if they still do or not.  BTX products are very good and made for heavy commercial use.  You have to go through a dealer, I'm sure they don't deal direct.

The issue in general with lift is probably obvious, they're heavy to lift.  Most people don't lift them except for perhaps window cleaning, so there is little call for motorized lift.  Tilt is a different story, and of course, tilt is relatively easy to accomplish.

jeditekunum said:
Came across a Somfy alternative I had not been aware of before. Posting here for others that might be interested. May not be available to DIYers.

http://elec-solutions.com
ESI products are outstanding, but they are not for the financially timid.  They are owned by HunterDouglas, but operate completely independent of Hunter, as do most Hunter owned companies.

I have never checked, but since their exclusive distributor is Worthington, I would think anyone could purchase them.  

Back