Immediately Report Power Outage?

johngalt

This is probably simple, but my power has been going out for maybe a second tops a couple times recently.

Is there a way I can have the elk notify me immediately with out extra hardware?

I saw posts suggesting using a 12V power supply wall wart plugged to a zone, but I didn't know if there was programming that could be done without extra hardware.

If you have a UPS on a computer connected to the monitoring communication port, you can configure the monitoring software to alert you. I have my UPS connected to a Linux server running APCUPSD daemon. I can tail the log file for occurrences of power loss. Of course this only works if you have your router and cable modem on a UPS as well.

"WHENEVER AC FAILURE IS DETECTED" rule can be used to alert you in a number of ways. I use it to call me on the phone and send me a text message.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
"WHENEVER AC FAILURE IS DETECTED" rule can be used to alert you in a number of ways. I use it to call me on the phone and send me a text message.

Mike.
Perfect!  I thought this was delayed.  I know once I turn off the switch it takes awhile before I see the AC Failure message on the keypad.  I will test this out.

I like the idea of the UPS as well.  The power just flips for a second so the transformer for the ELK might not even see it.  But the UPS should see it even if it is just a second.

I will likely setup both.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think the AC Fail Report Delay does affect when an AC failure rule would trigger.  The delay time is set in minutes, from 1 to 254, with a default of 15.  A value of 255 disables the reporting.  But the manual isn't clear about what happens if you set it to zero.  Hopefully, a value of zero would allow you to trigger the rule immediately due to a momentary loss of power.

RAL, I think you and Mike are both correct. I think the AC Fail Delay reporting you are referring to is the reporting to the CS though, whereas the one Mike mentioned in the Automation rules is just that, a trigger based on the AC failure; I believe this is instant.

I actually had this happen a few weeks ago and realized that I didn't have a rule setup for this. I do now and I know it definitely works, but I didn't time it to see how fast the response was.

In my case the GFI receptacle was tripped and AC power was lost to my transformer. It wasn't until around 10:30pm when I went to arm the system that I saw the AC Failure message on the keypad and had to investigate. At that point I couldn't even determine what was wrong other than no power at the outlet because all breakers were still on... and the GFI outlet was hidden behind some stuff so I didn't find it until the next day.... I used an extension cord that night to power everything.

I'd be interested to know if it triggers the rule with a little bump or dip in the AC supply. I can't say that I remember that happening here.

Mike.

drvnbysound said:
RAL, I think you and Mike are both correct. I think the AC Fail Delay reporting you are referring to is the reporting to the CS though, whereas the one Mike mentioned in the Automation rules is just that, a trigger based on the AC failure; I believe this is instant.

I actually had this happen a few weeks ago and realized that I didn't have a rule setup for this. I do now and I know it definitely works, but I didn't time it to see how fast the response was.

In my case the GFI receptacle was tripped and AC power was lost to my transformer. It wasn't until around 10:30pm when I went to arm the system that I saw the AC Failure message on the keypad and had to investigate. At that point I couldn't even determine what was wrong other than no power at the outlet because all breakers were still on... and the GFI outlet was hidden behind some stuff so I didn't find it until the next day.... I used an extension cord that night to power everything.
You don't want to run a transformer on a GFI protected circuit. They fight each other and typically the GFI wins out.

Yeah, unfortunately the wiring was put when the home was built and I found out it was on the GFI when this happened. The way wiring routes to the GFI and back around to other outlets doesn't really make sense at all, so I never thought it was until I wasn't getting power at the receptacle the transformer was on, while the breaker was on.

Due to the location of the wiring (exterior wall) and timing (we are looking to move relatively soon)... I just don't have any interest in putting in the work to move it.

Back