Choosing surge protection device

mikefamig

I will try to keep this question as simple as possible. I have a Ditek DTK-110C6a surge device and here is a link to it's data sheet

http://www.ditekcorp.com/index.php?option=com_djcatalog2&format=raw&task=download&fid=28

The data sheet states :
"they provide maximum protection for IP and PoE circuits transmitting video and/or data over CAT5e, CAT6 or CAT6A cable"

however clamping voltage is 21.6 volts. Don't many POE cameras require 24 vdc? If yes then isn't 21.6 clamping too low to support IP video cameras?

Mike.

I should have read the data sheet better before posting the question above. I just noticed that there is a 110c6aPOE version of the device as opposed to my 110c6a and it has higher thresholds.

Mike.

Thanks and yeah that is clear in the document that I linked to above. I just jumped the gun and posted the question here before reading and understanding the doc.

Mike.

I also found these minutemanups.com/lineguard MMS-CAT6-POE. I am planning on running 150 ft Cat5e direct burial cable soon for Camera mounted on pole in backyard. I guess you would need two of them - one for each end of the termination. You might get away with only one if you were willing to sacrifice camera. Seems like expensive insurance at $200.

Here over the years (10) have done 3-4 cams 50-150 feet from the house.  I ran one coaxial cable and two cat5e cables per cam.  Originally converted one cat5e cable over to using baluns for video / power.  I then went to POE and have been lucky so far with no lightning damage.

Testing over the years with the smaller POE switches / injectors made by Tycon systems (also have a managed Tycon 24 port POE device - not a switch).

Tycon systems carries a POE lightning surge protector for around $30.

tycon.jpg

If you are looking for a less expensive Ditek POE protector, check their MRJPOE. 

http://www.diteksurgeprotection.com/products/30-digital-video-surveillance-protection/198-dtk-mrjpoe.html

dtk-mrjpoe_l.jpg

Installers swear by it.

SuprDave

d.dennerline said:
I also found these minutemanups.com/lineguard MMS-CAT6-POE. I am planning on running 150 ft Cat5e direct burial cable soon for Camera mounted on pole in backyard. I guess you would need two of them - one for each end of the termination. You might get away with only one if you were willing to sacrifice camera. Seems like expensive insurance at $200.

In my mind it's not the same as insurance and in some cases the surge device becomes necessary. I installed cables in a buried conduit with no surge protection and got away with it for a few years but then when I later added more cable to the conduit I had two strikes in a month that caused damage. The first time I lost a 16 port IP switch and a TV set top box. The second time the same switch abended but came back after cycling the power.

So in my case it seemed that the most reasonable thing to do is to try installing surge devices and see how it goes. If the surge device does it's job then it's much better than insurance because it doesn't need to be replaced every time it experiences a surge and should be able to protect equipment for years. My ethernet switch cost $75 to replace and I bought the surge for $15 on Ebay.

Mike.

suprdave said:
If you are looking for a less expensive Ditek POE protector, check their MRJPOE. 

http://www.diteksurgeprotection.com/products/30-digital-video-surveillance-protection/198-dtk-mrjpoe.html

dtk-mrjpoe_l.jpg

Installers swear by it.

SuprDave

I installed an MRJ45c5e for my IP and I like that it has rj-45 connectors. This will make for easy replacement if and when that happens and you can also test the device for throughput by plugging a short cat cable in each end and using your cable tester.

Mike.

Back