Multiple Alarm Zone Surge Suppression?

heffneil

Hey all I had another lightning strike on the property - yay for being in the lightning capital of the world!  I have to replace my expansion enclosure on my HAI panel.  This is about the 4th time I have had to do this because there are external zones running outside.  There are a bunch - probably 6 or more.  I have seen individual devices but is there some contraption that will allow me to pass through individual zones and have them surge protected?

Thanks!

Neil

I just installed LVLP surges as linked to above by RAL to protect the 12 volt rs-485 data on my Elk security system but learned in the process that the LVLP series has a newer equivalent MHLP series that has ten times the peak surge current. The LVLP can divert 2kA to earth while the MHLP can shunt 20kA.

Mike.

heffneil said:
Damn I just ordered one of the DTK8LVLPSCPX
The DTK8LVLPSCPX is a good choice for a circuit with 12 volt service voltage. The higher peak surge current will make for a longer lived device but the LVLP has been around for many years and should be fine. What is the service voltage of your zones?

Well this is for the loops on my omnipro and a few are 12v power so thats why I chose the 12v right?

Thanks!

Neil

Another advantage of the LVLP over the MHLP is that it can be found on Ebay for cheap. I just bought a couple of dtk-4LVLPX for $15 each new in the package. For that price I'll give em a go and replace them with MHLP if they fail.

Mike.

I'm not familiar with Omni Pro and I don't know what you mean by loops. If you are talking about security zones I can say that on the Elk each zone is a 12 volt circuit.

The main considerations in choosing a surge device as I understand it:

1 service voltage - expected operating voltage

2 clamping voltage - the voltage that the device clamps to earth

3 let through voltage - voltage that gets through to your equipment when clamped

4 peak surge current - amount of current device can divert to earth without being destroyed

You want to choose a device with a clamping voltage  a little higher than you highest expected service voltage. If the clamping voltage is too low then it will interfere with the circuit's normal operation. If teh clamping voltage is too high it will not protect your equipment.

Mike.

Actually, if they're just closed circuits and not controls, I'd optoisolate them. There's devices out there that can facilitate multiple pairs and do this. I want to say ACT 4010 off the top of my head.

That's assuming the loops in question routinely get hit and you're trying to limit the amount of downstream damage.

That's a neat idea but costly too. The surge was 150 for 8 zones which is basically all I have on this sub panel. I looked and rma-Ed this board almost a year ago right around lightning season. I only wish they had removable terminal strips like the main omnis

So I had another lightning strike on the other side of the unit between the rs485 links of two systems.  fried the serial port and made network unusable while plugged in!  I spoke with a very smart guy from HAI / Leviton and he said optical isolate is the way to go.  a costly option but I am done replacing boards between these two units - but for zones it seems costly.

Btw I got an email that my Ditek unit order was cancelled.  I will probably travel up to ADI and buy a few of their 4 terminal units!

DELInstallations said:
Actually, if they're just closed circuits and not controls, I'd optoisolate them. There's devices out there that can facilitate multiple pairs and do this. I want to say ACT 4010 off the top of my head.

That's assuming the loops in question routinely get hit and you're trying to limit the amount of downstream damage.
I can't find the ACT 4010 do you have a link by any chance?

Back