Nuvo MPS4 vs. MPS4-E

gasbie

I have searched all over the internet to get the answer to this question but to no avail. I'm in the process of getting a nuvo server. I do understand that the Elite version is NAS enabled, what other feature justify that extra dollars that one has to pay for MPS4-E instead of MPS4? How easy is it to scroll through thousands of MP4 files on NAS with the MPS4-E? Anyone with either system should chip in please. Is the NAS feature a plus or a hassle of navigating through music files? Another other feature you enjoyed on one system, that the other does not have, or what tricks do you use on the system you owned. Thanks

I honestly haven't 'tinkered' much with the MPS4E in the last few years.

Scrolling through artists using the keypad is cumbersome, much easier with the app.

I honestly don't listen to many of my albums specifically, maybe 1 every other week; usually I'm listening to streaming music.

I'm using a Synology NAS for my music files.

I believe one of the main benefits of the MPS4E is for serving album art to touchscreens (C4, Crestron, etc) using an analog output, though I haven't played with it at all.

Whether the music files are hosted on a PC or NAS shouldn't make much difference, functionally.  The music files are copied to the MPS4/E for playback - they aren't played from the PC or NAS (AFAIK).

Thanks Neurorad. Seems a lot of people buy the MPS4 and end up not using it alot. so if i buy the MPS4, can i use a pc to host music to it, so the pc serves as a NAS (network shared folder)?

gasbie said:
Thanks Neurorad. Seems a lot of people buy the MPS4 and end up not using it alot. so if i buy the MPS4, can i use a pc to host music to it, so the pc serves as a NAS (network shared folder)?
Both the MPS4 and MPS4E allow the use of a networked PC to provide digital music files.

The MPS4E allows the use of an NAS as the source.

I don't think that PC needs to always be on, as I believe the music files are copied to the MPS4 and MPS4E.  But, if the PC drops off the network, the music files eventually disappear from the MPS4/E.  Not sure of how, or how long, but that's my impression.

Not what you are asking for, but I thought I would share.

I have a Nuvo Essential system along with the Nuvo MP i got off eBay for ~$50.

I have a virtual server running three different Ubuntu instances.

One uses the program located at https://github.com/ckirmse/squeezewatch which is written in Python and interfaces with two squeezelite instances.  I basically just stream nursery rhymes off pandora on one of the squeezelites instances and music for my wife and I off the other.

The beauty of this is full metadata support.  You can have favorites in your Squeezeserver and they will "magically" appear in your Nuvo keypads.  

It also takes the daily weather forecast and displays it on the Nuvo keypad.

I modified the code so that Elk can send commands to the Python script to control the music.  It is nice that when I arm the system "Away" the music will automatically turn off.

It required some tinkering and I don't get to use the nice Nuvo app.  But just thought I would share my setup just in case it helps anyone.

interesting that Nuvo and Music Port is still alive and kicking. I thought since Legrand bought them it would disappear. I'm still running my original MusicPort attached to an XP box that I am afraid will soon die. Still running Autonomics software (though buggy and they will not support or even talk to me about it) and the Mirage app. Since my XP box will die soon I have been looking to either try and migrate to a newer Windows 10 x64 box or upgrade to the MPS4 and dump the musicport. However I'm surprised by the cost I'm seeing on the MPS4 (north of 2K) and very difficult to even find a reseller. 

How many people still run MusicPort and are you running it under XP still?

Thx

CB

So I had the same issue as Charlie. I have the orginal Music Port and my XP computer that was running a beta version of the Autonomic software died. I replaced the hard drive and installed Windows 8.1, and had no luck loading the software back. I emailed Autonomic for a copy of the program that was compatible with Win 8.1 or 10 and they didn't give me the time of day.

So I looked at a couple options to be able to use the Nuvo multi-zone amp but still have access to streaming sources. I thought of getting a Sonos Connect and hooking it into a Nuvo input. While this would give me all the modern streaming services, the control would be awkward. I would have to turn on the zones and control the volume at the keypads, then start the Sonos using its app. I had never been able to get the Nuvo (or Autonomics) app to work for me, so I didn't even have the option of using two apps.

So after some research, I decided on a CasaTunes CT-1. It provides one source of streaming services and local music. Controllable through a pretty decent app. The best part is it can also control the Nuvo! I have full control in the CasaTunes app over power, volume, transport, etc for each zone. In addition, it provides metadata at the keypad. All in all, probably the best solution I could find that allowed me to reuse the Essentia and still get streaming support. The Music Port still acts as the NuvoNet translator, but its hooked to the CT-1 now instead of a computer.

--Jamie

Back