dementeddigital, I couldn't figure out how to easily slipstream my images in, so here is a link on Google Drive with the pictures + description.
Included some build pics as well as our testing the steering / suspension. I was the motor. So far, very happy with it. 2 seater, will have Gas Engine and Electric Motor. Forward geared for 12MPH (just a tad faster than the rest the neighborhood's units). Reverse is 2.7MPH or something like that. The Gas is geared to ~25MPH (24.89 or something like that...I'd have to look it up in my math notes).
Short term, kids use the electric as it is slower / safer. Easier for them to understand going forward / backwards by shifting between F, N, R.
Long term and short term for adults, use Gas for Forward, then Electric for reverse or when engine noise is prohibited (driving around in our neighborhood park).
In THEORY...400W electric scooter motor should be good. As I understand it, typically you rate electric power as W-> HP, then 3x the number you get (due to the torque curve differences). That'll get you CLOSE. Plus I have a gearing advantage that the original scooter this motor came from ... did not have.
Besides, worst case, I add a a second motor and a few more batteries.
As a side note, my kids are geting older and wanted tablets to play games on. They worked hard to earn $$ using chores. They ended up getting NVidia Sheild K1 tablets. Since they had issues ruining the USB jack on the last tablet I gave them to use, I puchased some generic add-on Qi chargers for phones. Since they do not use the tablets most of the day, I figured there would be enough time to charge them up overnight. To help them align the tablets to the chargers, I also built some boxes with some foam to hold everything aligned while charging. Cut down some nice OAK I purchased at the Big Box. Made a box joint (my real reason for doing this). Then I glued up and stained it to go along with the theme of the house. I used this stain that had a clear-coat already in it. Worked out pretty well. Although I've stained in the past using a paper towel. The other stuff was too sticky and pulled the paper apart. I had to use a paint brush. Good thing for Ollies (Second hand type store)! I got 4 1" brushes for $1.
So far, the boxes are working REALLY well. It was my first time trying to do a box joint. I think I'll stick to working with steel. :-)
You can find those images here:
I used to have a way to share the images from Google Drive by using a DIRECT link, however Google sent me a notice they are stopping that, so until I work something else out, I'll just let anyone interested navigate to the Google Drive page and view them there.
Thanks for the interest!