HAI 6 button KPads and OMNI IIe - lost communication

swb_mct

After a lightning storm, all 3 of our 38A06-2  6-button keypads no longer run the programs on our OMNI IIe, and the keypad LEDs no longer respond to instructions from the OMNIIe.    The keypads still have LED lights and still buzz when I press a button, but they don't do anything. 

So I wanted to go through the keypad setup again but I can't remember how the OMNIIe knows one keypad from the other.  The 38A06-2 instructions are no help with this.

I never used UpStart with any of the Omni programming. 

Each Keypad is listed as a UPB "UNIT" in HAI Dealer Access and each of the 18 buttons and LEDs are all programmed in the OMNIIIe.

So how do I configure the keypads to talk to the OMNI IIe as they did before.  Keypads had no direct communication with switches or dimmers  . . all scenes were driven by programs on OMNI.

(This whole system was messed up after this storm.  I had to upload the programs to the OMNIIe from the .pca file to get things working again.  All the HAI switches work now, but the keypads don't)

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum swb_mct.

Fellow CT folks please correct my dialog or adjust it if I have made any errors here.

So I wanted to go through the keypad setup again but I can't remember how the OMNIIe knows one keypad from the other.  The 38A06-2 instructions are no help with this.

The keypads have unit numbers like the switches and are configured with links and most likely your HAI Omni IIe is configured for HLC lighting.  It will be in PCA.  Is your panel programmed with HLC or UPB units?

Right now your Omni panel still has the programming for the three keypads but the keypads have lost their programming.

I just had one switch problem which I caused.  Reset after reset wouldn't fix it for me until I left it disconnected (with no hot wire) for a day.

I then reset it and noticed that all of the programming was still there.  This might work for you using UPB Upstart.  First write down the unit number that you see in PCA along with the network information relating to you HLC set up (well and UPB set up).

Just do one keypad at a time using upstart.  After the reset it will not have a unit number or it it just default to #1.  Put it in programming mode, utilize Upstart (it is free to download) and configure the keypad with the original unit number as defined in PCA.  All of the links should be there such that you should be working again.

I would also advise to purchase a serial UPB controller.  Preference is HAI.  The original HAI UPB PIM should have come with a RS-232 interface to connect to the end of the flat cable for a PC connection.  That said it is easier just to purchase a spare.  Upstart runs in Windows.

1 - start by disconnecting hot wire wise one Keypad for 24 hours (this is what worked for me).
2 - get a HAI UPB PIM from Amazon if possible - 2 day delivery with Amazon Prime - $76.07
3 - Looks like the above UPB PIM comes with a cable but no RS-232 end piece - Amazon has it for $10.19
4 - download Upstart from here on Simply Automated ==> Upstart
5 - get familiar with Upstart and make sure it is working with your PC / Laptop / HAI UPB PIM.
6 - reconnect hot wire wise your keypad and put it in programming mode (try this first before a reset). 
    A - Press and hold the “1” and “6” pushbuttons simultaneously for at least 3 seconds
    B - All of the LED indicators will blink to indicate that the HAI UPB™ 6-Button House Controller is in Setup Mode.
7 - using Upstart add the keypad in question and set the unit number to what is in PC and save setting.
8 - now the keypad in question should work as it did before.
9 - proceed to second and third keypad switch.

Have a read here too ==>HAI UPB Install

Here is a powerpoint presentation in PDF format from HAI on programming your panel with HLC. ==>HAI lighting control

Thank You for your reply.   All of the HAI devices are set as UPB "house code format" in the Omni program.

When using Upstart to discover my devices no devices are found.   The discovery screen shows the  PIM firmware number 1.01 and Tests for Noise Values o/o/o/, but then cannot find any of the devices in setup.  I put a few switches and all my keypads in setup mode. 

Under "Configure"  Upstart shows the PIM in Message Mode.

I connected one the Keypads directly to the outlet powering the PIM and it could not be found while in setup mode.

I have a second PIM and tried that to connect OMNI to the house . .no change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't get into this in my initial question, but after about 5 years of flawless performance, all the devices on one Power- Phase stopped working.  Then I installed a HAI phase coupler which did not help.  If I move the PIM to the other phase, the devices on that phase work but not the other, except for 1 switch which works with the PIM on either phase.

I have gone through the circuit breakers turning off every breaker except for a lighting circuit to see if there was some appliance or something at our house creating noise suddenly.  Even with all breakers OFF except the breaker powering the HAI panel and an HAI light circuit, the HAI switch would not work unless the PIM was on the same phase as the switch.  It all worked for 5 years without a phase coupler.

We have a total of 13 HAI devices and about 25  X10 devices - (wireless motion detectors, dimmers and switches all as HAI OMNI program units.  The X10 stuff still works perfectly)

I AM WONDERING IF THIS Phase problem is related to the 6 Button Keypads and UPStart problems.    The HAI switches work sort-of, but the Keypads are triggering devices.  However the LEDs on the keypads are not responding to the "condition" of HAI-Omni Programmed lighting circuits they used to respond to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been broken for almost a year and this is my first biggest attempt to resolve it.  My wife isn't' happy.

Since X10 still works, I was thinking as a last resort to remove all the HAI switches and keypads and replace them with X10 . . except I don't think X10 has a comparable keypad.

Do you agree I could get another vendor Keypad to use for inputs into the Omni programing ?   I haven't looked at available keypads from other compatible vendors . . do you have a recommendation

Welcome to the Cocoontech forum swb_mct.

All of the HAI devices are set as UPB "house code format" in the Omni program.

Good to know.

When using Upstart to discover my devices no devices are found.

You need to utilize the same network address / password configured in PCA. (I think)

Under "Configure"  Upstart shows the PIM in Message Mode.

Upstart auto-configures the UPB PIM device (controller).

I connected one the Keypads directly to the outlet powering the PIM and it could not be found while in setup mode.

I have a second PIM and tried that to connect OMNI to the house . .no change.

Again you have to configure Upstart to have the same network and password as you see in PCA.

I didn't get into this in my initial question, but after about 5 years of flawless performance, all the devices on one Power- Phase stopped working.  Then I installed a HAI phase coupler which did not help.  If I move the PIM to the other phase, the devices on that phase work but not the other, except for 1 switch which works with the PIM on either phase.

Here had a similiar issue.  I tried the HAI / PCS phase coupler and it didn't work for me so installed an HAI UPB repeater  (totally different device) and that fixed my issues.

I have gone through the circuit breakers turning off every breaker except for a lighting circuit to see if there was some appliance or something at our house creating noise suddenly.  Even with all breakers OFF except the breaker powering the HAI panel and an HAI light circuit, the HAI switch would not work unless the PIM was on the same phase as the switch.  It all worked for 5 years without a phase coupler.

Yup easier to program one switch at a time using the serial PIM connected to a laptop and a local room outlet.  I am guessing that a UPB repeater versus a phase coupler will help your cause.

We have a total of 13 HAI devices and about 25  X10 devices - (wireless motion detectors, dimmers and switches all as HAI OMNI program units.  The X10 stuff still works perfectly)

Good to know.

Here still utilize X10 for my Christmas lighting.  I changed over to an XTB TW-523 dual phased device plus amplifier.  X10 has been fine (well it was already OK with the TW-523 plugged in to an original XTB X10 amplifier.

I AM WONDERING IF THIS Phase problem is related to the 6 Button Keypads and UPStart problems.    The HAI switches work sort-of, but the Keypads are triggering devices.  However the LEDs on the keypads are not responding to the "condition" of HAI-Omni Programmed lighting circuits they used to respond to.

Could be.  Best way is to get to the device locally via UPstart in the same room controller if possible.  IE: first set up Upstart to have the same network and password as on PCA.  Then put the keypad in programming mode.  Then program the Unit number.  The rest should hopefully still be configured in the keypad.  If not work backwards from what you have configured in PCA.

This has been broken for almost a year and this is my first biggest attempt to resolve it.  My wife isn't' happy.

Only low on the WAF here is what I paid for the UPB switches and their purpose.  It's been years and wife doesn't pay attention but has learned the whole multipress/toggle thing.

Since X10 still works, I was thinking as a last resort to remove all the HAI switches and keypads and replace them with X10 . . except I don't think X10 has a comparable keypad.

I would leave the UPB in place and fix the programming or replace the keypads.  That said here switched from Keypads to multiple toggle UPB switches and dual load switches.  Good on the WAF and she has learned all of the toggle presses (versus key presses).

Do you agree I could get another vendor Keypad to use for inputs into the Omni programing ?   I haven't looked at available keypads from other compatible vendors . . do you have a recommendation

I think PCS, HAI and SA still have those keypads.  AND you are using UPB mode rather than HLC mode.

The modern look of the multiple toggle UPB decora switch looks nice if you want to give those a try.

SA, HAI and PCS UPB switches will all work.  (SA least expensive where as PCS are most expensive).

Many Cocoontech members have stuck to using only HAI or SA or PCS switches.  Here have a hodgepodge of HAI, PCS and SA switches.

Newest switches are all SA.  Oldest are PCS.  Never had an issue with any of them.

Thanks for so much expert information,     Our HAI system is at another location and I won't be there for a week.   I can remote-access into a computer I have there running Web-Link, PCA and UpStart, but the PIM for Upstart is not connected so I can't do much until next Friday.

The system is just a bit flaky and I am wondering if its damaged from lightening.   I told you yesterday I had to reload the system from a .pca file to get it to work at all after the lightning storm many months ago.  Yesterday after my last post, I reloaded the .pca file to the OMNI again and power cycled the controller.  Then most HAI switches worked better with the PIM attached to the opposite phase and stopped working with the PIM attached to the phase it had been on for the last several months.

This sounds like user confusion but its not . . I log all my troubleshooting on paper to keep track of devices that work and don't work when I make any change.

Again Thanks for your help

Our HAI system is at another location and I won't be there for a week.   I can remote-access into a computer I have there running Web-Link, PCA and UpStart, but the PIM for Upstart is not connected so I can't do much until next Friday.

Best to wait. 

PCA and Upstart softwarewise would be all you would need.  PCA to talk to the switch and Upstart to check on the UPB switch.  Well and a spare serial UPB online.

I do have a couple of UPB serial PIMs that I use as floaters just to configure UPB with Upstart.

You can also just keep PIMs on the network for remote access these days.  (I do that with Quatech serial servers) and have one on the second floor and one on the opposite side of the house where the fuse panel is.

Here is a picture of a Digi serial server.  You can also use a wireless one if you wanted to.  Just connect one of these to the network and connect a UPB serial PIM to it.  Personally here only familiar with Lantronix and Digi stuff and Quatech servers.  Today you can also do this stuff with a RPi2.  I wouldn't though.

digiserialserver.jpg

I have too now switched over to using only VPN remote access for stuff and do not really open up the firewall to anything these days. It is easy to do these days.

The system is just a bit flaky and I am wondering if its damaged from lightening.

It's been a few years now that I had a direct hit of lightning here.  2nd location gets lightning strikes all of the time and I have never had an issue with the OP2  / switches there.

I never have automated the irrigation there but the Rainbird controller has taken hits and I have replaced power supply and fuses over the  years.

I was lucky in one way as I had been migrating from Insteon to UPB and had about 1/3 of the house covered with UPB switches.

That said the lightning strike did take out the rest of my insteon lighting such that I replaced it with UPB.  The UPB switches continued to work fine but I replaced them anyways.  The OP2 panel was fine.

Irrigation Rain8nets here have been taken out once by lightning and I replaced them and hardened them a bit.  I do automate irrigation today via a small linux box that fits inside of the rain bird  Been working fine for years now.

I went to multiple UPB Pims more to tinker with software automation and to be able to look at UPB signal levels from the always on line UPB PIMs.

I can see the best with Upstart relating to diagnostic stuff.  Today you can purchase a network enabled UPB PIM and it appears that they cut a deal with Digi as that is the OS running on the little web server.

Back