Iphone 7 has no headphone jack

mikefamig

I've been trying to come up with a reason why Apple would remove the headphone jack from the Iphone when so many of use it every day. Then it occurred to me that maybe they are going to introduce a new device that does have headphones. Removing the jack from the phone can also improve Ipad and Ipod sales.

Anyone else have any  thoughts on this? Any rumors going around?

Mike.

More like they've got their heads up their asses so far they see daylight and think they can con the public into following them.  No.

This is just a grab for profits.  No doubt they'll also gouge vendors 'licensing fees' to make anything that's compatible with it.  

wkearney99 said:
More like they've got their heads up their asses so far they see daylight and think they can con the public into following them.  No.

This is just a grab for profits.  No doubt they'll also gouge vendors 'licensing fees' to make anything that's compatible with it.  

How do you mean " a grab for profits"? I would think that removing the jack could hurt phone sales and I don't think that the jack adds that much to the cost of the phone.

I was thinking that it could be a space consideration but it's still hard to believe that they see losing the jack as a plus.

mikefamig said:
How do you mean " a grab for profits"? I would think that removing the jack could hurt phone sales and I don't think that the jack adds that much to the cost of the phone.

I was thinking that it could be a space consideration but it's still hard to believe that they see losing the jack as a plus.

Right, because everyone out there is screaming their phone is too thick and they'd much rather be gouged for extra headphones.  

The plus for Apple is by using custom connectors they can gouge vendors a licensing fee for every device that wants to use it.  Whereas consumers can get inexpensive 3.5mm (1/8") headphones for a bargain price just about anywhere.  Instead they'll have to pay extra for either wireless or a likely much more expensive cable end on the cord.  

I'm not an apple guy (at all), but keep in mind that they are including a lightning to 3.5mm adapter in the box. 
And yes, they are removing it for space reasons, primarily. Compare a 3.5mm to a micro USB (or lightning) - big difference, They claim 14% larger battery with the change, 2 hours more runtime. Also very hard to waterproof a headphone jack. 

I'm surprised they didn't simply show a picture like this:
FTTLQ6HFCRT39GB.MEDIUM.jpg

Wireless FTW.

Craig
(But the price for AirPods is crazy.  Right now.)

Wired headphones are great for a bunch of reasons.  They're inexpensive.  If one comes loose you won't lose it, as the cord will catch it. They don't require being charged.  They'll last as long as you take care of them.  You can share a headphone jack with a simple splitter (great for kids on the plane).  You can use a headphone jack to interconnect with literally billions of existing audio devices.

Wireless ones require the added effort of making sure they're charged.  Drop one and it's gone.  You have to keep it in your hand if you want to remove one temporarily.  They're pricey.  They require being paired and UNPAIRED if you want to use them on more than one device.  And, no doubt, Apple's scheme will require only their proprietary schemes to work.

As for space savings, this is a problem Apple created for themselves.  Honestly, I think most folks would rather have a more durable device built inside of a factory case.  Better battery life is certainly possible if they'd actually make the phone that's already the size of the inevitable case that'll get put on it.

The question is whether the market leader, Samsung, will avoid taking the bait and doing something likewise selfish.

I haven't yet read all there is to read about the new phone, but what I've heard (other than the obvious) is that:

1) Wired [lightning] headphones will be included
2) A Lightning to 3.5mm adapter will be included (and available for purchase separately; approx. $20 for Apple-branded adapter)

I've used both Android and iOS devices; my last 2 phones have been iPhones though and for now I suspect that will continue. I have no issue with what was done; I knew it was coming as it was in the rumor mill for a WHILE now. I would have had more of an issue if they eliminated it without providing any wired alternatives and forced you into $200 wireless models. A LOT of people that I know already use 3rd party BT headphones anyway.

YOU ALL SHUT UP THIS IS A BRILLIANT MOVE AND APPLE IS BRILLIANT AND EVEN I SHOULD IMMEDIATELY SWITCH FROM NEXUS TO IPHONE!

(i may or may not have a crapton of AAPL in my IRA)

I didn't know that there would be a firewire lightning headset adapter. It makes more sense to me now. i thought that they had reduced the phone to wireless headset only and I had a hard time believing it..

mdesmarais said:
Also very hard to waterproof a headphone jack. 

The old 'phone jack' design aren't the most reliable either.  It's a carry-over from the 'transistor radio's of the 1960's.   Having fewer connections to the device simplifies any enclosure and future interfaces.

Mike,

A close friend told me that he read (how reliable is this?!?) that you can use the lightning connection on the phone to charge the wireless headphones, but not while listening to them at the same time; so I guess it's either listening mode or charging mode.

EDIT: After reading a bit on my own, I don't think the phone can charge the AirPods; I could be wrong. I suspect that the comment between listening and charging was for the phone itself; in that you can't use the Lightning port to charge the phone if you have headphones plugged into it. Likewise, you couldn't listen to wired headphones while the charger is plugged in.

Back