ELK-M1DBHR 2 Parallel Home Run Cables per branch

bhoth

Hi All,

I have a question about the ELK-M1DBHR and what the instructions mean by each managed branch can have 2 Parallel Home Run Cables for a total of 8 home runs.

I have this board on my Elk M1 Gold system and all 4 of the ports are used. 3 of the ports used are keyboards and the 4th port is an Elk M1XIN 16 zone expander.

I now want to add an ELK-M1XRFTW (2 way wireless). If I understand the parallel connection correctly, I do not need to buy another M1DBHR, I would just double up the connection of 2 of the keyboards on the M1DBHR.

Or the other option I have is hook up an ELK-M1DBH which I purchased but never hooked up.

The instructions on the M1XRFTW do indicate that it needs to be address #2.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thank you,

bhoth

bhoth said:
Hi All,

I have a question about the ELK-M1DBHR and what the instructions mean by each managed branch can have 2 Parallel Home Run Cables for a total of 8 home runs.

I have this board on my Elk M1 Gold system and all 4 of the ports are used. 3 of the ports used are keyboards and the 4th port is an Elk M1XIN 16 zone expander.

I now want to add an ELK-M1XRFTW (2 way wireless). If I understand the parallel connection correctly, I do not need to buy another M1DBHR, I would just double up the connection of 2 of the keyboards on the M1DBHR.

Or the other option I have is hook up an ELK-M1DBH which I purchased but never hooked up.

The instructions on the M1XRFTW do indicate that it needs to be address #2.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thank you,

bhoth

If you currently have only one home run connected to each port on the M1DBHR, then yes, you can double up two of the keypads on one of the ports and connect a new home run for the M1XRFTW to the port that you freed up. There is a diagram in the instructions for the DBHR that shows this.

You will need to change the termination jumpers when you do this.  Remove the termination jumper from the M1DBHR for the port that will have the 2 keypads.  Both of the keypads on that port should already have termination jumpers on them, so you don't need to change anything on the keypads.

If your only connection to the M1 data bus is the M1DBHR, another way to do things would be to leave the connections to the M1DBHR alone and connect the M1XRFTW directly to the M1, so it has 2 connections. In this case, you would need to remove the termination jumper for JP3 on the M1.

In both cases, the M1XRFTW should have a termination jumper installed on it.

You are correct that the M1XRFTW needs to be set up as address 2.

Back