Anyone have experience with HDMI to coax adapters?

ano

So I have an older house built before HDMI.  In my familyroom is a fireplace with a TV area on one side and audio area on the other.  All the speakers in the house run to the audio area.  So on the TV side I have HDMI for my TV, but my challenge is getting this to the other side with my receiver.  Run between the two are two RG6 cables. So the thought was to use a HDMI to coax adapter on one side and coax to HDMI on the other. I just care about audio and will use an HDMI splitter on the TV side.  Its only a distance of 5 or 6 feet.

Anyone every try anything like this? 

Often. It's doable but hopefully you have RG6QS.

You also need to know what HDMI you're sending and the resolution. It's all doable, but sometimes it becomes the law of diminishing returns compared to running a cable and any wall repair.

HDMI and conversion never goes smoothly.  Lots of things "ought to be" possible, but most end up as a hair-pulling waste of time and money. 

Is there NO chance of running HDMI directly?  Up/down/over/through... what kinds of walls/floors/ceilings are involved here?  Is there baseboard?  Carpet?  There's a lot of HDMI cabling options available.

Run between the two are two RG6 cables

Are the two RG6 cables loosey goosey in the walls or are they tacked in place?

Do you have open access under the floor (basement or crawl space) or attic/ceiling?

I have made chases here cutting little square sections of drywall (ceiling or wall), drilling in to 2X4's, stud to stud, then patching the wall.

What we're asking here is "how bad would it really be to get some HDMI cabling run?"  

Because trying to use adapters, especially with HDMI, is never simple and ALWAYS expensive.  More than HDMI cable and installing it, usually.

There's a few rare cases where the install is truly a hassle, like all masonry walls laid on a concrete slab.  But barring that, there's ways....

Personally here for my automation wiring here have concurrently redecorated a room (very high on the WAF).  Drywall / painting is the easy part. 

Curious about this.  I am confused a bit.

If all it is you are interested in is audio why not just pass the digital audio to coaxial cable. 

Or utilize analog audio (have earphone and RCA jacks here on LCD TV).

Looking at the back of one LCD TV here see optical and RCA digital jacks for audio. 

How do you intend to get HDMI from the AVR to the LCD TV? 

DELInstallations said:
About 1/10 of that actually. Around $65-75 is going rate. $300 if you really want to get spendy.
My mistake.  I had been looking for 4K extenders a couple months ago, and that's what I found.

For most everybody, generic extender will be fine.

At that point, you might as well convert the signal to TCP/IP over the coax and just translate it then. BUT at that cost, you might as well start considering changing the cabling. We're only talking residential, not a ridiculously long or difficult pull 99% of the time. Maybe a little patch/paint.

pete_c said:
Curious about this.  I am confused a bit.

If all it is you are interested in is audio why not just pass the digital audio to coaxial cable. 

Or utilize analog audio (have earphone and RCA jacks here on LCD TV).

Looking at the back of one LCD TV here see optical and RCA digital jacks for audio. 

How do you intend to get HDMI from the AVR to the LCD TV? 
I got the HDMI cable through, but it wasn't easy.  So this is an elevated area with a TV on one side and the audio equipment on the other. Between the two is a fireplace. 
Here is a picture:
TV-Audio_zpsenqrq8a1.jpg

So on one side is a DirecTV receiver (HDMI) and TV and on the other is a Denon multizone receiver, and subwoofer.  You can't see it but the wires for all the speakers in the house come in behind the Denon on the right.  All the rooms have speakers and volume controls in the wall. and the familyroom here was wired for 5.1 sound.  I replaced all the volumes controls and swapped them out for impedance matching volume controls. So now I can have house music on Zone 2.

The problem was getting the HDMI from the DirecTV receiver to the Denon to decode and send through the 5.1 speakers.  I have an HDMI 2-Way splitter with one going to the TV and a second one going to the receiver.  This allows me to have the TV supply the sound, or use the receiver if I want but I don't HAVE to use the receiver for sound.  I had that hookup in my previous house, and the Denon is a power-hog, so this way I don't need it on all the time.  

I'm replacing all the speakers (the house is 20 years old) and when i removed that center speaker you can see I discovered the bottom was hollow, so I ran the HDMI cable down the wall into the space then back up to the TV.  MUCH easier said then done. It took 5+ hours to do that since there was wood between the wall space and floor space.  Now i realize i should have run TWO HDMI cables because the Denon can display the its setup on the monitor, but I will just run a cable when I need that.

It all works great, except this stupid Denon is so complex, I literally have to pull out the 300 page manual just to figure out how to change the FM channel.  I used to have CQC control it, and that was far easier than actually controlling it using actual buttons.  It has two remotes which aren't any easier to figure out than the unit itself. 

I feel for you.  My Denon 3808 was much more complicated, though, than the current model I bought this last year.

IP Control is MUCH easier than IR to program, with a driver.  With IP, already programmed. :) 

I wish Logitech Harmony could control Denon AVRs with IP, but still IR at this point.

Good news Ano!

Complexity of LCD, AV, DVR (except for Tivo) let me to writing an FAQ for the wife.

One day she called me while out of town for business crying that she could not turn on the television.  Hence writing the FAQ.

She has told me that when or if I die before her; she will most likely unplug everything that she doesn't understand.

I use the Logitech remote and she uses each device's remote.

Today found an old copper telephone Cat3 cable in the master bedroom.  I wanted to use it for the network.  Terminated both ends and connected it to the Gb switch.  No issues works great.  Freaked me out a bit as I didn't think it would work.  it is some 75 feet or so running from the master bedroom to the basement old telephone punch panel.

Neurorad said:
I feel for you.  My Denon 3808 was much more complicated, though, than the current model I bought this last year.
Yup that's the model.  Never could really figure out how to operate the AM/FM radio.  I think it came out during the peak of audio cable craziness where there was just about every kind of audio and video cable, some analog, some digital some optical. 

But I did get it working. I bought this $25 Bluetooth to audio adapter and I connected that to the receiver.  Then I just pair it with my iPad and I want to play an FM station, I stream to and it goes to the receiver. Much easier than trying to figure out how to change the channel on the Denon.

Back