Sensor for wooden gate?

Sendero

I have a gate on the side of my house and I want to be able to have my Elk aware of when it is open/closed so that I can have text spoken and flash lights if its open too long. 

As the gate is on the far side of the garage, there is no crawlspace easy run to get near the gate. I'd have to run the wire 20+ feet outside from the nearest crawlspace vent to the gate and then there is risk my dog would chew the wire. There is also a decent gap between gate and post so I'm guessing I'd need something like the sensors I have for garage doors and I'm not sure how weatherproof those are. 

I haven't seen any wireless sensors that are weatherproof either. 

Any suggestions? 

Sendero said:
I have a gate on the side of my house and I want to be able to have my Elk aware of when it is open/closed so that I can have text spoken and flash lights if its open too long. 

As the gate is on the far side of the garage, there is no crawlspace easy run to get near the gate. I'd have to run the wire 20+ feet outside from the nearest crawlspace vent to the gate and then there is risk my dog would chew the wire. There is also a decent gap between gate and post so I'm guessing I'd need something like the sensors I have for garage doors and I'm not sure how weatherproof those are. 

I haven't seen any wireless sensors that are weatherproof either. 

Any suggestions? 
I use plain old GE/Interlogix indoor sensors and magnets on my gates. I open them op, then use GE Silicon to seal them shut.  You'll still be able to pry them open to change the battery after 10 years, but likely won't need to sooner than that.  These sensors operate from 20 - 120 degrees during terrible rain storms with no failures.  I did have one stop working, so just opened it up, dried it off, and resealed it and its worked ever since.  These sensors are only about $30, and the battery lasts 10 years, so after that you can just buy a new one if you have to. 

Personally I wouldn't run wires. That always brings up the possibility of a lightning strike which its just better to avoid.

CAO Tags sensors are weatherproof, can give you temperature, humidity, light levels, motion, x,y,z position, battery level, and out of range all in one sensor.

A Tag manger is necessary for the first Tag unit and can notify you in 20 different ways. I use them to stuff data into my ISY994 upon any change.

The one in my car can be detected within 2 km away when my wife turns onto the highway. coming to our subdivision.

Uses at CR2032 cell 3/$1

LarrylLix said:
CAO Tags sensors are weatherproof, can give you temperature, humidity, light levels, motion, x,y,z position, battery level, and out of range all in one sensor.

A Tag manger is necessary for the first Tag unit and can notify you in 20 different ways. I use them to stuff data into my ISY994 upon any change.

The one in my car can be detected within 2 km away when my wife turns onto the highway. coming to our subdivision.

Uses at CR2032 cell 3/$1

Larry,

Can you provide a link to the CAO tags you have as well as the tag manager you mention?

drvnbysound said:

Larry,

Can you provide a link to the CAO tags you have as well as the tag manager you mention?
NO. I forgot how to spell google.ca :)

http://wirelesstag.net

Tags range from $22 to $48? depending whether you want Pro (months of event memory), weatherproof, light sensing, 0.4C accuracy, etc..

Manager is $54

SmartHome also sells them

A word of wrning. They are cloud dependant.

The manager does most of the local notification. depending on what syle you use, but has to have approval from their "cloud".

I made my own using ZWave Door sensors, an outdoor magnetic switch and magnet pair and PVC pipe with end caps for weatherproofing.  Painted it black and wire-tied it to the fence.

+1 on this!  We took an indirect lighting hit last fall through a tree in the woods in the valley behind our home. Had there been hardwired sensors on the fence gates it would have done a whole lot more damage.

ano said:
I use plain old GE/Interlogix indoor sensors and magnets on my gates. I open them op, then use GE Silicon to seal them shut.  You'll still be able to pry them open to change the battery after 10 years, but likely won't need to sooner than that.  These sensors operate from 20 - 120 degrees during terrible rain storms with no failures.  I did have one stop working, so just opened it up, dried it off, and resealed it and its worked ever since.  These sensors are only about $30, and the battery lasts 10 years, so after that you can just buy a new one if you have to. 

Personally I wouldn't run wires. That always brings up the possibility of a lightning strike which its just better to avoid.

True enough.
Last year I had a lightning hit somewhere out in my back yard. The strike induced voltage into my soffits where my remote thermoresistance sensor was located and it burned out the input on my hydronic heat pump mixing control.

First, I can't get that model anymore and the new replacement runs about $500. grrrrr......
I have been getting along without it with the mixer assuming it is 0C outside at all times but the heat overshoots during mild days and undershoots during really cold days. Good prediction is necessary when the heat comes 6-8 hours after you call for it with a 1000 tonne concrete slab as a heat radiator.

LarrylLix said:
...with a 1000 tonne concrete slab as a heat radiator.

Wow!  That is a big slab.  At 4" thick that's about 44,000 sq ft! Are you by chance from Texas?  :)

LarrylLix said:

Uses at CR2032 cell 3/$1
What method are you using to "stuff data into my ISY994"? Are you using the IFTTT channel for anything? 
Very interested in your setup.
The CAO FAQ ( ihttp://store.wirelesstag.net/pages/support ) implies that it may be difficult to replace batteries, and suggests using a chisel instead of a screwdriver, as described below. Does this match your experience, so wondering how viable this has been for an exposed gate application?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Quickly replacing batteries (CR2032 type)
While the case for PIR and Reed KumoSensors are easier to open because they are larger, it can be challenging to open the case of one of the Wireless Sensor Tags without the right tool. If you find yourself opening the case of these very often, we recommend that you get the best tool for the job here at Lowes.com. This works much better than any flat head screw driver.

Back