• No

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

pete_c

Guru
This is just an informal poll.

Years ago never did utilize that razor blade slot in a medicine cabinet.  There was only one in the house and it was used for aspirin, deodorant et al.

Now years after do use the medicine cabinet for those maintenance drugs.  Horse pill size fish oil pills, aspirin, et al.

In the 1980's ripped out the standard bathroom sink wooden base with drawers et al and replaced two bathrooms with pedestal sinks which looked nice but were useless to me and a real PITA relating to hanging it on the wall and very difficult to get to the plumbing underneath.  Then had a wood crafter obi wan wizard  modify old under the sink cabinets to my liking. 

Friend that finished his new home put one of those glass bowel suspended type sinks over an art deco style see through base with four glass looking legs.  No storage at all in the main floor bathroom.  I guess just for guests (which are rarely there anyways?)

I decided a few years back to take a small corner cabinet in the kitchen.  (which has always been low in the WAF).

Recently wife went on a big box hardware store shopping thing.  She purchased two medicine cabinets and my job this morning was to hang them up at the designated spot in the bathroom (which already has one of those in wall medicine cabinets with a shallow depth.)   Well too apparently thinking of this endeavor as a 5 minute work effort.

So now we have a poll as posted here asked fellow Cocoontech friends.  Some do have medicine cabinets and some don't.

Some older (well almost same age as us) friends keep their maintenance drugs right on the kitchen counters next to the toaster.  Wife just keeps hers in the night stand. 

We keep our meds in a cardboard box in a cabinet in the kitchen and fill the pill minders once a week.

Pulled the slot cabinet you are describing out, useless, was installed on wall opposite sink right in front of the toilet. Also pulled the gimongous mirror over the sink and put in a large deep surface mount cabinet (mirrored doors) over said sink to store tooth brushes, hygiene stuff, shaver, face cleaners, etc.

I dislike the "normal" in wall units as they are never big enough and a royal PITA to install.

We use it. The ground level floor cabinet holds bandaids, steri-strips, anibiotic cream, hair brush, tweezers, floss etc. and it's handy. The cabinet is flush mount with a towel rack in the bottom so it is fairly deep. There is a flat mirror over the sink and this cabinet is over the bowl.

Upstairs is my wife's cosmetics and a couple of tooth brushes.

Mike.

Our medicine cabinet has been one of these for a while now:
61uvg9VVmgL._SY355_.jpg

It sits on a shelf inside one of our linen closets.

batwater said:
..was installed on wall opposite sink right in front of the toilet. Also pulled the gimongous mirror over the sink and put in a large deep surface mount cabinet (mirrored doors) over said sink to store tooth brushes, hygiene stuff, shaver, face cleaners, etc.

Just don't put the cabinet into an outside wall if you're in a climate that freezes in the winter.  There wouldn't be enough space behind it for insulation.  That anti-antiperspirant would be damned cold in the morning...

We're fortunate not to need a pill regimen... yet.  Pill minders are great.

I'm partial to the the Robern PLM2030 cabinets.  Went with the 20" wide ones for our new house:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TFA2F4
313LCjZmcWL.jpg

Best part is having mirrors on both the inside of the door and in the back of the cabinet itself.   I considered going the route of getting electric outlets in the cabinet, but realistically that doesn't leave enough room to be useful.  

Last year, we bought a house and had it remodeled.  We had the medicine cabinets removed instead of replacing them.

There is a small cabinet in the kitchen which is used for any medications and supplements.

I don't miss the medicine cabinets.

I had two medicine cabinets put in the master bath of my new home (his and hers).   These were custom built by the cabinet maker who built our bathroom cabinets.   They are about 40 x 24 and are flush with the wall-- with mirrors framed to match our cabinets.   These are extra deep due to the 2x6 framing in the wall that the cabinets are built in, therefore, lots of capacity.   They also have electrical outlets for charging our electric toothbrushes.   I love mine.     They are handy like a Swiss Army knife.

As long as you have storage elsewhere, medicine cabinets aren't too useful, IMO.

We use the corner kitchen cabinet for meds, but have tall cabinets R and L of his/hers MBa mirrors (like below), and also the plastic drawer thingy in the linen closet.

dbba26150ef79352a3718bfe00936db6.jpg

On-wall cabinet above MBa toilet holds TP, in WC, like this one:

21278-l.jpg

Half bath has a narrow sink vanity with a couple drawers, for TP.

minimalist-bathroom-single-vessel-sink-vanity-white-ceramic-sink-white-wooden-vanity-legion-24-inch-modern-vessel-sink-bathroom-vanity-white-finish-legion-24-inch-modern-vessel-sink-bathroom-vanity-w-972x1470.jpg

I like the kitchen for meds - drinks there, though I keep Benadryl, ibuprofen, and Tylenol in both locations.

Neurorad said:
As long as you have storage elsewhere, medicine cabinets aren't too useful, IMO.

Storage is always good, there's never enough.  My most appreciated feature of the 20" cabinets is the mirror on the inside of the door.  Makes for much easier close examination for flossing and the like.  

We didn't put them in the guest bath or powder rooms. 

Thanks fellow Cocoontech'ers.

I cannot figure out how to close / end the poll.  Anybody know how to do this?

Here went to using a new small louvered door cabinet mounted in the guest bathroom (which has a GC installed mirrored wall mounted cabinet).

In to antiques a bit and originally thinking of a mini apothecary style cabinet (may from a century old drug store). 

picture.jpg

Off on antique tangent here....

Many years ago (40 or so) was in to play Backgammon and wanted to replace the board dice with bone / ivory dice.  Never did get dice made from bone but did replace the dice with ivory (a gift along with a small bottle of mead) made dice which I liked.  It was most enjoyable to play with the dice with an old guy at the time (80?) that owned a cemetery; well he always lost.

After dad passed away thought of what it would be like to own a large big cemetery nearby in the midwest.

Googling maps this morning found the cemetery where my dad is buried.   It is huge and not labeled at all in Google maps which I found odd.  I recall having a bit of a hard time looking for one at the time.

cemetary.jpg

pete_c said:
Into antiques a bit and originally thinking of a mini apothecary style cabinet (may from a century old drug store). 

My mother loved antiques.  My wife does not.  Thus I live in a house with no antiques now (well, besides myself I suppose).

There's the trend of resto-modding stuff.  Taking something old, keeping the old look/patina, and putting new underpinnings behind the facade.  Could be some clever ways to marry the old door or even the drawer and face-frame with a new box behind it.

Thank you Bill.

Recalling now going to a clock shop and asking proprietor to fix an old clock I had.  

He told me to purchase one of his old clocks on display or replace the guts on my antique with new modern (electronic) parts.

He was in a rush mostly thinking about closing the store (couldn't sell the clock shop) because he was dying (or so he said).

gregking said:
I really expected this to be a poll on whether the MC should be automated to report/log accesses.
Me too - or some super-secure way to lock it down.

I like the idea of the 2x6 wall with power - I hate having power cords in the bathroom!

We use them - guest BR is bandaids and the like; kids BR is drinking cups, extra toothpaste, and floss.  Even ours are deodorant, lotions, shave creams, etc.  Medicine (vitamins and OTC cold-type stuff mainly) is in the kitchen in a cab.    We don't keep pain pills around and the kids are young, but as we all age that'll likely change - at which point I'll find some automation method to lock them down.  There's a cool locker-type kit with a wireless remote keypad and a door/cabinet/locker latch that I've had my eye on for years for bar/medicine cab use (Link)

Yup here originally did install a 120 VAC power outlet and NIC port on one wall (not next to the sink) in the guest bathroom.   No usb chargers yet though.

I also added more lighting.  Old house / old bathrooms (3) also included a telephone on the wall in the 1980's.  No television.

I did also create a sound zone there.  Well and almost ceiling to mid level pictures.  All black and white of family going back 100 plus years or so.

You really though can't tell that the electronics stuff is in there unless you look for it.  In the late 70's did put zoned audio in the bathrooms and it was used a bunch.

Back