Iphone parts source

mikefamig

Can anyone recommend a good reliable source for OEM  Iphone parts? The lightning cable socket broke on my Iphone 6 and I plan to replace it myself. I've been inside an Iphone 5 to replace the battery and think that I can manage the job. I'd rather throw the thing away than pay hundreds of dollars to have it fixed.

There are several places to  buy parts online but I'd like a recommendation from anyone who has personal experience with a vendor. I'm looking for a company that will actually talk to you on the phone or email.

Mike.

Here a few years ago neighbors bought their son (10-11 years old or so at the time) an IPhone.  He dropped it riding his bicycle about a month after purchase.

Personally I thought it was a bad idea and a waste of money to give their son an IPhone.  That said I said I could fix it and did so.

The screen cracked making the phone unusuable.  I just went to Ebay and purchased a kit to repair it from China.  I googled the instructions for replacing the screen.  The kit came with plastic tools.  The parts to repair were still probably close to $100 or more at the time.  It was a PITA to take the phone apart.  That said I have done this before though with the old MS phones from the early 2000's. 

@Mike, just google the repair; there is probably a YouTube video on it too.

I'm looking for a company that will actually talk to you on the phone or email.

There are web sites that will sell you the parts and help you.  You will pay a premium for this service / parts.

Google IPhone repairs / parts.

Here wife utilizes an IPhone.

Basically here have never used a locked to vendor phone (whatever OS it is) so I play more than use my phone today. 

That said I have always tinkered with the hardware and OS on phones from the beginning of smart phones in the late 1990's.

Pete

I have taken one Iphone apart in the past when I replaced the battery in my Iphone 4 and that was a  success. I ordered the part and a cheap tool kit and will give it a shot. I called the Apple store and they quoted $299 to fix the phone and I'd rather throw it away than pay them another $299. I bought this phone and paid for it in installments on my ATT phone bill and I just made the last payment in October......NO LIE!

If it doesn't work out  I think that I will replace it with an inexpensive android phone.

Mike.

Yup; don't like AT&T anymore (even more now that they own DirectTV - because I have used and continue to use DTV from the very beginning) and mostly because they slammed my 25 year old multiple phone accounts a couple of years back.  I am trying hard now to pretend that they do not exist; shameful cons that they are today.
Relating the cell phone in general wife still shuts off her phone when she is not using it.  She is slowly now being absorbed by the social  / texting / tweets things that her female relatives/peers and youngsters participate in turning on her phone just to answer a tweet / text versus talking on it. 

Suggestion is to look at what you want to do with the phone as a tool rather than what you do for it, OS, aesthetics or price (these days).

I am using the You Tube DIY video approach now too for my automobile(s) updates.  I do multiple videos though before doing endeavors.

Currently dealing with an MAF (Mass Flow Sensor) that looks new but isn't working after cleaning it with MAF cleaner.  Years ago on the MBTD just put it in the dish washer (stealth like) and it worked after that.  I know I shouldn't have done that though.  Takes only a few minutes to replace such that I just ordered one last week.  Prices were everywhere (OEM dealer price is around $400).  It actually was more work looking for one reasonably priced than replacing it.

So i took the phone apart today and when I got the lightning cord socket assembly removed I found that there was a chip of wood stuck in it that was preventing the charging cord from working. I had spent Saturday doing yard work that included a couple of hours running a wood chipper and the phone was in my pocket all day. My wife and I both fooled around with trying to get the cord to work and had no clue that there was something stuck in the socket but I was able to see it when I had the part in my hand under a good light.

So I put the thing back together and it's working great so far. I have a replacement part in the mail that I don't need but it only cost $20. The worst part was that those screws are so small that I couldn't see them very well and could hardly feel them in my fingers but a magnetized screw driver and magnifier glass did the trick. Another session in the school of hard knocks

Mike.

Back