Can I use this instead of the RJ31X?

pete_c

Guru
Originally wired the RJ31X directly to incoming line #1 and went from here to the Leviton Telephone interface demark connectors.  I have always had a minor hum on my line #1.  (3 lines in home today).

Can I bypass using the RJ31X and plug the 4 wires (IN and OUT) directly from the Leviton Telephone interface security jack to the OmniPro 2 panel?

Are each color pair one phone line?  IE: Is Blue pair line #1, Orange pair line #2, Green pair line #3?

Removed it (twisting wires together) such that I could wire it and test it on my work bench.

OLDNEWRJ31XB.jpg

If you have a dedicated line for the alarm you don't need the 31x. All it does is "steal" the dialtone if you are on the phone when an alarm occurs.
Each pair is one line with the blue pair being primary.

Frunple said:
    If you have a dedicated line for the alarm you don't need the 31x. All it does is "steal" the dialtone if you are on the phone when an alarm occurs.
    Each pair is one line with the blue pair being primary.
    A mechanical RJ is required by the utilities. Direct connection to a panel isn't allowed due to tariff acts.
Not saying I haven't seen it done, but the correct way, even if not returning the phone line is to install a RJ jack and cord.

Pete- in your case, you can wire a RJ45 jack (commonplace) to act as a 31/38X.

I wondered about this as well, and it seems to go back to an FCC requirement.  Back in the day of your phone being your only means of communications with the outside world, and alarm panels that weren't reliable, and the need for consumer to debug phone problems themselves, the FCC decided that all phone equipment needed a simple means of bypass. I think we live in a different day today, but the requirement is still there.  Will the police be knocking on your door to check that your RJ31X is installed?  I'd have to guess, no. :huh:

Thank you Del. 

I need the space now where the RJ31X is at and never had utilized the security part of the Leviton board.

So I can remove the RJ31X from inside of the OP2 can and connect the alarm panel directly to the Leviton RJ-45 jack labeled security eh?

Is the Leviton telco board considered an RJ31X?

pete_c said:
Thank you Del. 

I need the space now where the RJ31X is at and never had utilized the security part of the Leviton board.

So I can remove the RJ31X from inside of the OP2 can and connect the alarm panel directly to the Leviton RJ-45 jack labeled security eh?

Is the Leviton telco board considered an RJ31X?
You might want to check FCC rules part 68. The use of the RJ31X is NOT optional.

Quoted from part 68: "alarm dialing equipment must be connected to a properly installed RJ31X that is electrically in series with and ahead of all other equipment attached to the same telephone line."

This only applies to the wireline telephone network, not VoIP, cellular dialers, etc.

I am reading that the Leviton security jack above is an RJ31X jack such that I just move the cable from the RJ31X little box in the panel to the Leviton Panel.  The Leviton telco board is inside of the Leviton 42" media cabinet which is adjacent to the HAI OP2 can.

RJ31X.jpeg

@ Pete

The port on your board is for a USOC cable from the security panel. No secondary 31X needed, it IS a 31X.

I remember hearing Leviton either not connecting them or requiring a jumper or similar, but you should be able to figure it out I'm sure.

Remember, USOC is NOT a patch cable in pinout.

ano said:
You might want to check FCC rules part 68. The use of the RJ31X is NOT optional.

Quoted from part 68: "alarm dialing equipment must be connected to a properly installed RJ31X that is electrically in series with and ahead of all other equipment attached to the same telephone line."

This only applies to the wireline telephone network, not VoIP, cellular dialers, etc.
How the device attaches to the host system also determines this. A cellular dialer may require a 31X, but a dialer capture wired to an alarm panel directly can be straight copper. A connection for the alarm to a VOIP based system should still have a 31X, depending on the distribution methods of telephony downstream. The entire picture needs to be considered before making the sweeping statement it doesn't require one on X or Y technologies.

Thank you Del. 

Understood on the USOC cable.

The USOC cable that came with the OP2 /RJ31X is bundled up such that it will probably be long enough to go to the adjacent Leviton media can. 

DELInstallations said:
How the device attaches to the host system also determines this. A cellular dialer may require a 31X, but a dialer capture wired to an alarm panel directly can be straight copper. A connection for the alarm to a VOIP based system should still have a 31X, depending on the distribution methods of telephony downstream. The entire picture needs to be considered before making the sweeping statement it doesn't require one on X or Y technologies.
I'm not disagreeing with you and I never said VoIP or cellular doesn't require a RJ31X.  I'm only reading into what the FCC statement says, and why it was placed there to start with. The part 68 rules apply to the public telephone network, i.e. wireline.  The reason the RJ31X was required was so that the consumer could do some troubleshooting if required. This rule was in effect even before VoIP and cellular existed. The RJ31X was the demarcation where the phone line ended and the alarm line started.

Actually it's not really true that the 31X is/was required for the consumer.....it goes well back before that and for a different reason. A lot stems from the Carter lawsuit and their devices.

Back in the 70's and early 80's, you also had to have the telco come out to install the 31/38X for you.

The "old" days, you could only get a phone or cabling installed by ma Bell and they owned both (and rented you the phone) and any connectors (such as the old 2 and 4 pin) were only a convenience item for portability (remember, we're talking houses that had 1 or maybe (if lucky) 2 jacks installed PERIOD and the connected hardware was rented from ma Bell. That was followed by the suits and allowing FCC registered equipment to be installed on the phone network (through a rented or leased "protector") and then the connected hardware had to be proven to be "harmless" or have a way of being disconnected from the PTSN easily to "prove" that the issue was not the PTSN (which almost all of the trouble calls out there in the world, the majority of issues are before the cable even entered the building). This is all during the monopoly days.

Also remember, the first gen home alarm and monitoring started around the time the FCC allowed the legal installation of non-bell hardware to the PTSN (of course, there are earlier installs out there, but not very commonplace and required leased lines) and the first digital communicators also started coming out during the years following the FCC decision. Before that, it was tape and even record dialers. The 31X has never been a point of demarcation between the alarm and premise lines since they're really one and the same, it's just a service disconnect to easily put the wiring to a "non modified" wired state quickly and easily (the 31/38X just have a shorting bar inside them) and the telco owned all the cabling in and out of them with the exception of the modular cord to the non-bell hardware (they were also used for LD dialers installed to use 1010's).

I cut my teeth working on these old installs in mansions and buildings around these parts. Also worked for the company that was essentially the only game in town (nationally) during those years.

Back