Smoke Alarm FAQ

Sandpiper

Over the last couple of weeks I created a new FAQ on Smoke alarms. I believe you may be interested in some of the items included.

I would appreciate any constructive comments. Here is the link:

https://od.lk/d/NzVfNDc4NTE3NV8/SmokeAlarmFAQ.pdf

I had to post it onto Open Drive because of issues in "Downloads" in this forum. Hopefully that will be fixed soon. 

Take a look at some of the citations of conductor sizing. Voltage drop is also cited in NFPA. If the detector is not listed to be compatible with the AWG, it is not compliant.

760.142 Conductor Size. Conductors of 26 AWG shall be permitted only where spliced with a connector listed as suitable for 26 AWG to 24 AWG or larger conductors that are terminated on equipment or where the 26 AWG conductors are terminated on equipment listed as suitable for 26 AWG conductors. Single conductors shall not be smaller than 18 AWG.

Be very careful about your 10 year statement on page 13. The listing documents for the devices state they are recommending replacement at the 10 year mark, and NFPA follows I/A/W the manufacturer's listing and documentation. Residential also has the boilerplate stating they SHALL be replaced at the 10 year mark due to the lack of testing inherent with the market segment. NFPA 72 does not mandate detectors be replaced, only I/A/W the manufacturer's instruction and they still only cite smoke alarms, not smoke detectors. The specific manufacturer documentation is what is going to be the deciding factor (NFPA 10.4.2.2)

Elk does not support the clean me signal from ESL/GE smokes.

MA does not require Ion detectors. They do require photo heads. (13.7.5.1.1 and 13.7.5.1.2) alternate technologies are allowable. I didn't look at other areas of the country, but MA is one of the strictest in the US (and a neighbor) so I can't see too many other sections of the country mandate ion MUST be installed. Counter intuitive to the industry.

Fire alarm verification is not universally accepted by code and statutes. While it is an option, it may also be further limited in the amount of permissible time for verification or if it's even allowable by the AHJ.

Back