OmniLTe connection to router issue

sdl5e

I have an OmniLTe (4.0b) connected to an ATT UVerse NVR589 router.  This setup has been working without a problem for almost two years.  This week we had some issues with our ATT service and I was instructed by ATT to reboot my router by.  I can't remember if I have ever done this before.    Since rebooting the router, I haven't had any broadband issues, but I am having issues accessing the Omni LTe outside my LAN.  Accessing via my LAN is working fine.   I can use PCAccess via the private IP address without any issues.

I have narrowed down the issue accessing the panel outside my network to a port forwarding issue.  Before I had the broadband issues this week, I was forwarding port 4369 without any issues.  Now, the issue is that the UVerse router doesn't see the panel as a connected device.  That is, I have no way to open port 4369 because the panel doesn't show up as device I can forward to in the router's list of connected devices.

I know the Omni panel is on my network because I can ping the IP of the panel and it responds.  Also, I can use SnapLink on my Iphone (with my private IP address) and it functions well.

It almost appears as though the Omni panel is intermittently "telling" the UVerse router that it is connected because I have seen its IP address in the router's device table intermittently (and sometimes it says it is "off")

I have ATT coming out tomorrow because they couldn't help me over chat, but I am afraid this is an Omni issue, not an ATT issue as all of my other devices can be seen by the UVerse router.

Has anyone seen an issue like this? 

You should be able to manually add the device and port forward to it. Some firewalls consider it a "virtual server" and requires you to add it as such.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to do it with the UVerse router.

In my previous experience with ATT, the Uverse routers were the worst I've ever used.

Since the Omni panel doesn't make any outbound internet connections, the router doesn't see it and doesn't show it in the connections list.  For an easy work-around, temporarily disconnect the Omni from the network and set a static IP on your computer using the Omni static address.  Do your router configuration, then change your PC back to DHCP or whatever you had it set to and then plug the Omni back in.

I just tried this, but it didn't seem to work (that is, if I followed your directions correctly).  I believe the issue is that the UVerse router configuration allows you to assign the port forwarding to a specific device, by MAC  address, not by IP address.

When I changed my laptop to the static IP address of the panel, I was then able to port forward 4369 to the laptop.  When I reattached the network to the Omni Panel, the UVerse configuration had the port forwarded to the new DHCP provided IP address of the laptop.

Its just so strange that I never had a problem with this for 2 years until this week. Maybe ATT changed something with the router (an update)?

I think I may need to try the router behind router method and use a router that I have more control over.

Long term, a different router is the best route.   When I had DSL in my office, I was able to set the ATT router to pass-thru mode and never needed to look at it again.

Short term, you could always clone your Omni MAC address onto the PC as well.  

Well, AT&T came out today.  I explained the situation and asked them if we could try a new router.  Tech said sure.  Problem solved.

The new gateway is a Pace 5268AC.  It allows entry of a static IP to create a port forward regardless if the device is detected by the gateway.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Back