Kwikset SmartCode lock problems

JonW

I've had a Kwikset SmartCode Zigbee lock since 04/2012 working with the HAI Zigbee interface (ZIM).

For the last few months though, the lock will stop working both from Zigbee control and local control (pushing lock button on outside keypad).  When inserting new batteries or trying to lock via Zigbee, the lock responds with a single long beep.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the Zigbee radio as I can see the status via Zigbee when I manually turn the lock from lock/unlock and the ZIM sends the lock command to the lock (but the lock beeps on error).

The really odd thing is that it usually starts working again a few days later and then goes almost a week before it starts the same behavior again. 

Anyone seen anything like this?  Any ideas on what could be wrong?

I thought I had read before that the SmartCode units sold at Lowed/Home Depot were the same models but without the Zigbee or Zwave radios.  If I had to replace the lock mechanism, does anyone know if I can remove my Zigbee radio and transplant it into one of the non-radio equipped models?  I can always go buy one if I need, but I'd rather ask first if anyone has gone this route yet.

JonW said:
I've had a Kwikset SmartCode Zigbee lock since 04/2012 working with the HAI Zigbee interface (ZIM).

For the last few months though, the lock will stop working both from Zigbee control and local control (pushing lock button on outside keypad).  When inserting new batteries or trying to lock via Zigbee, the lock responds with a single long beep.  I don't think there is anything wrong with the Zigbee radio as I can see the status via Zigbee when I manually turn the lock from lock/unlock and the ZIM sends the lock command to the lock (but the lock beeps on error).

The really odd thing is that it usually starts working again a few days later and then goes almost a week before it starts the same behavior again. 

Anyone seen anything like this?  Any ideas on what could be wrong?

I thought I had read before that the SmartCode units sold at Lowed/Home Depot were the same models but without the Zigbee or Zwave radios.  If I had to replace the lock mechanism, does anyone know if I can remove my Zigbee radio and transplant it into one of the non-radio equipped models?  I can always go buy one if I need, but I'd rather ask first if anyone has gone this route yet.
I'm not sure of the problem, but YES, you can buy any SmartCode lock and add your Zigbee or ZWave radio and it will work. I do it all the time.  The ZWave radio board is blue, the Zigbee radio is red.

Now for something related. The reason I replaced all my Kwikset Zigbee locks with Yale Zigbee locks is this. Actually two reasons. First, the Yale Zigbee locks work better, but second, Kwikset with "SmartKey" technology, which lets you easily rekey the lock easily are extremely easy to break into with just a screwdriver and pliers.  (Check the Internet.)  Yes the rekey ability is great, but I think a 12 year-old could break these.  Since your is broken anyway, try it on yours. I bet you will be shocked on how easy it is to get in with just a screwdriver and pliers. No key needed.

Thanks Ano for the confirmation on the interchangeability of the locks/boards.  There's some on Craigslist here for around $50, but if I need to replace it, I may just take a look at the Yale ones.  Surprised that the Zigbee models are only $112 on Amazon.

I took my lock apart shortly after posting and noticed how loose the connecting cable was on the circuit board.  I've secured it better and it's working again, so it may have just been a loose connection.  Only time will tell.

I may just get the Yale lock for the door and use the Kwikset one to improvise a locking dog door.  We sometimes get raccoons, skunks or possums that wander into our garage at night through the dog door to come eat the dog food.  It would be nice to automatically latch the dog door at night and unlatch it in the mornings.  I already put a wireless contact on the dog door and I trigger the garage lights at night when a critter comes in, but that doesn't seem to stop them.

Back