COSMOD4W and the number of detector limits

kelargo

hello,

I thought I had read the COSMOD4W can support up to 12 detectors in some daisy chain combination of COSMO4W and 4WTA-B; and if triggered, all will sound. 

and my question is, what if I need more coverage than 12 areas?  Is there any issues installing a second COSMOD4W to start a second daisy chain?  

And if a detector in one chain is triggered, will it be able to send a trigger to the second COSMOD4W chain, so all detectors are sounding?

Any issues with this? 

Thanks,

Then I would say the solution is the wrong product for your application.

You could, in theory, have multiple triggers for tandem ring, however the issue will be what occurs on the CO zone and fire zone upon reset from the host panel and the related trouble conditions. Running multiple zones of powered fire alarm is generally a bad idea on a panel that doesn't natively support it.

The questions also come into play of why you want to use 4 wire detectors (added complexities, components and power draw).

Thanks for your response.  I am educating myself on this, as I go along.

I am looking at the specs for the COSMO-4W and the COSMO-2W on www.systemsensor.com
For the 4W, it says 40mA MAX for alarm and the 2W has 50mA MAX, so maybe the 4W product has an unexpected efficiency? or the web site is wrong?   IDK. 
It also says the standby current is the same for both 4W and 2W, as well as the the same voltage levels. 

I am sure can fit my application into 12 detectors, but I was just wondering if it was possible to use more than one and what would happen?

thanks

The 2 wire unit is power and circuit for all the detectors. You are not going to exceed the maximum ampacity cited. As a 4 wire circuit and device, you are going to draw the total for the module in addition to each connected detector's current in both states. 2 wire is natively powered from the module. 4 wire is passthru from the panel and additive, module and each connected detector and the end of line relay.

You don't want to play around with fire alarm or life safety. The docs state it supports 12 for a reason.

Back