Question about ethernet wiring

I have CAT5 pulled from each room in my house to a wiring closet.  In the rooms I am using leviton 8 wire ports and I have punched them down with the 568B standard.  In my wiring panel I have OnQ interface modules.  The punch down on the interface module is only color coded in pairs - blue, orange, green, brown.  Everytime I punch down my network test shows 1-2, and 3-6 miswired.  So I am assuming that changing the pairs in the wall jack but not at the interface module is causing the problem.  Should I be switching the pairs in the interface module in order for it to work?  As you can see I am not a network engineer so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

I believe the OnQ interface module uses 568A wiring. If you wired the other end using 568B, that would explain your problem.  Both ends must use the same wiring.

Ethernet cables have straight through wiring meaning pin1 connected to pin1, pin2 to pin2, pin3 to pin3 and so on up to pin8. The colors don't matter at all from a purely technical point of view but there are standards that should be followed. Following a standard makes life a lot easier for the next guy that works on the system.

The two common standards for cat cable are TIA 568A and TIA 568B. I chose to use 568B throughout my house. If you look very closely at a clear cable termination plug you can tell which standard was used on that cable by looking at pins 1 and 2. 568A will be the green pair and 568B will be the orange pair.

Here's a link that explains it pretty well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568

Mike.

I just looked at the table in the link that I posted above and RAL is right on. 568A is the same as 568B with the exception of pins 1,2 3, and 6

I use 568A for everything because that puts the first two pair (white/Blue and White Orange) on the center pins of the connector which matches telephone wiring standards. This makes it easier to re-allocate a run from Ethernet to telecom or serial just by re-crossing or re-patching at the equipment end. No change needed to the terminations of the wire run.

568B is the most common in the wild and the most commonly spec'd termination.

568A is typically only used in archaic govt. spec jobs for the particular reason of keeping a POTS line going vs. ethernet....but then the closets and cross connects are completely different and separate.

Thanks to RAL.  Although it appears nowhere in the documentation the OnQ Interface module is 568A and I wired all of the connections in the rooms at 568B.  It didn't occur to me to check 568A.  I was thrown off by the color arrangement on the OnQ modules - all of the colored pairs one after the other.  Unfortunately I was connecting up this room in order to plug a Linksys Velop slave unit in, to create an ethernet backhaul.  But it didn't work - I tested the line so it is not that - it is obviously something with the Linksys unit.

mikefamig said:
I chose 568B because that is what I found in new patch cables.
Depends on what is ordered ;)

Otherwise a 568A on one end and 568B on the other....it's basically a crossover connection, which depending on the connected NIC's (auto negotiating and configuring) may not even be discovered short of a pinout test.

Kids these days don't have the joys of not having a crossover cable in their laptop bags on a Friday afternoon with no RJ's either.....(shakes fist, get off my lawn)

Usually the leviton module is color coded as well so you can  use the  A or B standard.  Is there a model number on the leviton module? 

Back