Newbe trying to get started

ohmthis

I'll start my first post by say hi to everyone. I've been reading up for a little while, but still not happy with the knowledge I have. I'm hoping you guys and gals (?) can help me get started with a plan and execute it successfully.
A little back ground, I'm an electrician/HVAC, but have been in industrial maintenance for 14 years now. When I was in the field I did a lot of data and fiber as well as industrial controls. I'm building a new home (hope to be starting in about 2 months). And want to make it a smart home (within reason). I will be pulling any cabling and installing the equipment.
So, I'm looking to turn on/off/dim lighting, control the security, control the HVAC, have whole house sound, control the irrigation, maybe more as I get ideas. I know everyone has their own opinion on equipment, protocol, wired/wireless, extent of the systems. i plan to use a wired security system (found the elk), and wired speakers with sound control (source, options not just volume), and I'm open to anything else. Thanks for any help!!!

Just include a neutral in every box. All systems require a neutral with the noise making bulbs, now.

Wired security, wireless HA.

Motion sensors for HA do not work well (placement) for security and vice versa.

Elk and ISY994 marry very well.

Thanks for the replies. Larry, a neutral in every lighting box is required by code now. It is a good reminder as is deep boxes. I'll have to look at the elk and ????? Marriage, I was looking at insteon for the mesh connectivity. How do they compare.

ohmthis said:
Thanks for the replies. Larry, a neutral in every lighting box is required by code now. It is a good reminder as is deep boxes. I'll have to look at the elk and ????? Marriage, I was looking at insteon for the mesh connectivity. How do they compare.
ISY994i takes a PLM for Insteon and X10 control. It can also take a Zwave plug-in board for Zwave.

It has a plug-in to interface with Elk panels that makes it like a slave device for remote control and status feed-in.

The ISY REST interface allows any other smart device to feed in data, control lights, programs and scenes. Also to readparameters from the ISY.

The Network Interface module allows any protocol to be output to control A/V, Hue lights, any most other weird devices taking Ethernet packets of any style.

Read sme of the UDI forum for a feel of the support for it.

Relating to the electric here went a bit granular on the circuits.  IE: family room separated out the media, lighting and non media outlets.

Wire for everything.  Here too security is wired, audio speakers are wired, HVAC is wired.  Think also external.  Wire for irrigation.  I prewired one side of the house for satellite and the other side for internet / television.  During contruction did run cables even if not needed.  Another home built a chase from the second story attic to the basement (where the com closet was).

Optimally a low voltage / high voltage lighting control is nice and 100% sure bet.  I did not have the privilege of doing this so here went with UPB powerline.  The OmniPro panel does X10, UPB, Zigbee and Z-Wave.  I have metal conduit / shallow boxes and mudplates which made it difficult for two automated switches in a box. 

I may get a rash for saying this but generally speaking I think that wireless is the future and UPB is very dependable. It seems a lot of money and effort to put so much wire in the walls if it isn't necessary.

Mike.

Thanks again for the replies. I know I sound completely ignorant about the individual systems and how they communicate. I decided to ask a bunch of questions to try to shorten the learning curve.
So it sounds as though the elk m1 would be the foundation to the system being the security and master (?) of the HA. Then using modules (this is where I need more help) the other systems (HVAC, lighting/camera, irrigation, sound) would be slaved off of the elk? I will sit down and search the forum that was suggested. Thanks again

Ok, after more research I think the fog is clearing some. Please stop me if this is incorrect. The ELK M1 would have the security items (door contacts, glass breaks, motions, key pads, etc) wired to it. Then the ISY944 connected to it (what type of connection, cat 5, rs232, something else), then with a PLM (Power Line Modem) it is connected to the insteon or zwave devices. If this is correct, then I can dig a little farther.
I do have some more questions on the separate systems. 1) what else would I need for the security, I've read about other add one that I may or may not need. Having a bus communication and others. I'll dig more. 2) does the isy programming control the Home automation and then just talks with the elk or do you write the programming with the elk and it communicates with the isy? Thanks

Do I need these cards for the elk m1
m1xsp-lighting/thermostat interface, serial port expander
m1dbh-data hub
m1xep-Ethernet interface
m1ez8msi-main serial interface.
I'm not sure what I need, thanks

I dont use the elk, but may be able to help a little.

First, if you are leanng towards the ISY/Elk combo, head over to universal devices forum. All your questions will be answered.

ISY and Elk communicate via your home network. Your ISY will need the optional elk module, I believe.

Yes, the PLM is used to communicate directly with the insteon devices. For communicatipn with zwave, there is a separate card intalled inside the ISY.

My perceptions are that the ISY is superior to the Elk for the programming side of things. I believe most use the ISY for the home automation stuff.

ohmthis said:
Do I need these cards for the elk m1
m1xsp-lighting/thermostat interface, serial port expander
m1dbh-data hub
m1xep-Ethernet interface
m1ez8msi-main serial interface.
I'm not sure what I need, thanks

The M1 has one built-in serial port.  If you get an XSP ethernet interface, it must be connected to the built-in serial port.  Then, you only need an XSP if you want to connect to other serial devices (eg a thermostat).

The XSP is well worth having so you can connect the M1 to your home network.  You'll need this if you get an ISY.

You don't need an M1EZ8MSI.   That's for use with the lower end M1EZ8 panel.

The M1DBH isn't required.  But it does make connecting the data bus devices, like keypads and input/output expanders, a bit easier.

You definitely need an M1XEP. The ISY talks to the Elk via IP. The M1XEP connects to the serial port on the Elk, so if you need another serial port to interface to a thermostat, for example, you'll need an M1XSP. I highly recommend an M1DBH as it will make wiring in all your modules/keypads easier (make sure you home run all the wiring for these back to your panel).

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I would wire, if you can afford it. Wireless is much more common simply because it costs less and it's retrofit friendly. But wired will be 100% reliable, extremely fast, it can't be hacked, and its performance won't change over time due to changes in the wireless environment.

I have been doing this stuff for along time. Avoid Centralite  and low voltage switching like the plague!!!! Wire your home conventionally and use wireless communicating switches. Because when you wire your home for low voltage switching and whatever company (AKA) Centralite. discontinues there product , you are screwed.  I installed  a Litejet system and am having problems with it and they will not even return my phone calls. As far as Elk and HAI I would say 6 of 1 1/2 of dozen of the other. Elk support is always good but HAI is owned by Leviton, so think about the future.

Back