Recruiting for Alexa Smart Home

DeLicious

Hey all,

Just want to preface this that I have permission from Dan to post here.

You all may know or recognize me as a long-time member of the community.  I've been a member here since 2006.  My introduction to home automation has been well-documented in my blog.  I started out with UPB, later moved to Z-wave, and now I have some Philips Hue sprinkled in as well.  At some point in the past, I've dabbled with Nokia 770 tablets, those old Audrey countertop tablets, a self-installed Elk M1G panel, X10 wireless with W800RF32, and HomeSeer (which I still run on a Raspberry Pi).

Within the past year of so, I've had the fortunate opportunity become a senior engineer on the Alexa SmartHome team, in part responsible for the SmartHome API that allows us direct voice control of our smart appliances through 3rd party skills, as well as all the back-end services that enable that control.  We're looking for a few good people!  While it's not a requirement that our teammates have past experience in home automation and control, it's those people that do that I particularly enjoy working with, as we share the same passion.  It's a dream come true for me to get paid doing what I would be doing (and still do) for fun on the weekends.  The Alexa SmartHome team has many openings, at all levels, and for all positions (engineer, project management, QA).  You can find a listing of open positions and job descriptions at https://www.amazon.jobs/en/teams/alexasmarthome

If you're interested in talking to me about a position on the team, or don't see what you're looking for but still interested in finding your niche on the team, please drop me a message by PM!  I can make sure your application and resume makes it directly to hiring managers.

Additionally, for those of you who are interested in reaching out on topics other than jobs, I'm happy to talk about home automation all day!  However, please respect the fact that I cannot reveal our product roadmap or any unreleased capabilities of the Echo or the Alexa API.  

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you all!
Adam

edit: removed period from end of url

Can one work remotely, or is a move required?

I'm asking for a friend.  You know who you are, Dan.

Oooo, a pipeline! ;-)

I just sent a request in via the app- I'm using a Dot in the kitchen, and I want to send the streaming audio into my whole house system... BUT I want the commands (and their feedback) to stay in the kitchen, on the built in speaker. To me, this seems like a pretty common use case- like if I had it in my living room, plugged into the stereo, this would allow me to use it even with the stereo off (for other commands).

So to sum up, I'd like streamed audio to go out the jack, and Alexa audio to stay on the internal speaker. A config option in the app would set this mode.

Of course I'm impatient, so I'm probably going to hack a unit for this function this weekend. ;-)

Neurorad said:

Also interested in answer from Adam; also asking for a friend :) 

The listings show that the Alexa positions available are in either Seattle, WA or Irvine, CA; I assume the move would be required. 

hey guys, sorry about the delay. Looks like I need to check my notification settings, as I haven't gotten any emails about your replies or messages. I'll start answering things now!

Neurorad said:

No remote work is available right now.  The entire SmartHome team is located in Seattle, so we'd definitely want you to come join us up in the Pacific Northwest.

mdesmarais said:
Oooo, a pipeline! ;-)

I just sent a request in via the app- I'm using a Dot in the kitchen, and I want to send the streaming audio into my whole house system... BUT I want the commands (and their feedback) to stay in the kitchen, on the built in speaker. To me, this seems like a pretty common use case- like if I had it in my living room, plugged into the stereo, this would allow me to use it even with the stereo off (for other commands).

So to sum up, I'd like streamed audio to go out the jack, and Alexa audio to stay on the internal speaker. A config option in the app would set this mode.

Of course I'm impatient, so I'm probably going to hack a unit for this function this weekend. ;-)

Obviously, I can't say too much. Firstly, I'm specifically on the SmartHome team, so I have very little say about where music goes :)  That being said, you'll need to keep in mind Amazon's engineering model is to release the minimum amount of features viable in the market, so as to get something out earlier, then iteratively improve things.  If you sent in a request via the app, that goes directly to the PM and the engineering team of that feature, so I guarantee you someone is looking at it.  

drvnbysound said:
Also interested in answer from Adam; also asking for a friend :) 

The listings show that the Alexa positions available are in either Seattle, WA or Irvine, CA; I assume the move would be required. 

Yes, there are a few positions in Irvine.  Those positions are typically lower level, closer to device-level.  The team responsible for the SmartHome API and communicating with 3rd parties is in Seattle.  But yes, either way, a move is going to be required.  

That being said, I love Seattle.  Having grown up in Dallas, Seattle has so much that Dallas didn't: mountains, snow, ocean, trees.  I was never much of an outdoorsman before I moved here, but there's so much natural beauty around that even a city guy like me has taken up camping and hiking.  Plus there's 4 different ski resorts within 2 hours up in the mountains to the east, so winter sports are a big thing too. I even went snowshoeing for the first time.  Who would've thought?!?!?

ashishjain said:
Hey Adam,

Unable to PM. Can you respond here or send me your email / twitter handle?

Thanks. 

I don't really use twitter, and I'd really rather not reveal my email address publicly.  I did try to send you a PM as well, but it says you can't use the messaging system, I assume since you just joined, and their trying to reduce bots and spammers.  Is there another way I can reach out to you directly?

DeLicious said:
Obviously, I can't say too much. Firstly, I'm specifically on the SmartHome team, so I have very little say about where music goes :)  That being said, you'll need to keep in mind Amazon's engineering model is to release the minimum amount of features viable in the market, so as to get something out earlier, then iteratively improve things.  If you sent in a request via the app, that goes directly to the PM and the engineering team of that feature, so I guarantee you someone is looking at it.  

OK, thanks. I'm continuing with my hack as I am impatient that way. ;-) Proof of concept is done, I'll put in the HW tonight and see if it does what I hope or if I need to tweak!

Back