Intercom with Elk integration

sionxct

I'm not interested in whole house audio, just intercom and it seems like voice announcement integration with the security / automation system is a natural fit. Are there any intercom systems that are designed with such provisions (no hacks)?

I've seen some posts about hacking the OnQ intercom to integrate with Elk. The hacking looks doable for me, but its still a hack.

In an old thread, there was discussion of using russound ISK2 & the ISSP speaker for intercom and security system announcments. I think the idea is to connect the ISSP speaker through the ISK2 speaker relay to the ELK (or a zone amp / audio distribution panel connected to the ELK instead of a music source.) Has anyone had any sucess with this?

Almost any small 25 or 70V amplifier with an impedance matching transformer input would work, however you'd need to consider what is going to be announced and how, so I'd still look at a robust distribution model for necessary signals (life safety, etc) and then dumping the others....which would probably mandate a TWA to separate out the speakers. Remember, you'd need to use a listed method to ensure the signals work upon power outage (not a UPS).

Back