Beware of your roomba

Does this mean those expensive useless toys are actually going to start mapping rooms instead of just bouncing around the same path endlessly, missing almost half of any larger room? This was demonstrated in many youtube videos originally, that no mapping is actually takng place and never wil be.  Without calibrated feedback sensing and perhaps accurate stepping motors, there is no capability. There is no data to sell.

This just seems like a another attempt to get attention from the newbie crowd that hasn't wasted their money on one yet. Creating controversy may work for very cheap advertising in today's online markets. After their paid spammer reviews money ran out, this may be their new marketting technique.

It's hard enough to get dirt out of a carpet with a half horsepower suction vacuum, let alone using a 0.001 horsepower suction. The suction power is well matched to  the size of the tiny dirt retention cup, though.

LarryILix

I think those things have brushes that will sweep up small dry stuff and only on smooth flat surfaces. Mostly for entertaining the cat.

Mike.

The latest models of the Roomba (700+) are doing pretty good job vacuuming the place. The article is about the 900 models that have a camera and wifi connection. These things can map if you allow them to connect to the irobot website. I have disabled this option right away, and use the local control, but I would imagine that majority of the roomba owners will let their wifi enabled vacuums to get on-line.

If the Roomba actually passes over that spot it may have a chance to pickup some small crumbs on a flat hard surface. They are good for large closet size rooms only, due to randomly not getting most of the area in a normal size bedroom. if there is no rugs, obstructions or narrow passages between rug edges, furniure and walls to find it stuck dead when you get home. But that saves emptying the cup each week.

I have one that was gifted to me. It always keeps the spot on the shelf under it very clean. Many trials and videos from users show it's lack of coverage.

The manufacturer's advertising has claimed "mapping" since the first versions. They lie. For the cost I can hire a maid to vacuum using her own equipment for a longer than the roomba warranty

Here purchased first generation of Roomba many years ago.  Tripped over it one day, moved it to a closet and never used it again.  (original old house kitchen floor was ceramic tile, then new one was wood ; both easy to clean.)

That said I did put an electric outlet in the kitchen closet just for the Roomba and eventually afterwards used the outlet for an Electrolux electric broom.

The Electrolux died after about 4 months with a ruptured battery pack such that I went to a cleaning service and that was that.

Back