My contribution to the group morale

mikefamig

For anyone who has made a recent gaff and is feeling a little down on themselves, this may make you feel better. I took my Iphone swimming yesterday. Don't do this.

It was submersed in my swimsuit pocket for a few minutes and now I'm going to learn what it's like to live without it. I'm going cold turkey.

Mike.

I have a withings that got put into the clothes washer and failed.   I tried the rice trick but it didn't seem to work, and ended up buying another one, threw the old one in a drawer.   Took it out a few months later, charged it up and it is good as new.   

So maybe there is a little hope, throw it in a jar of rice and let it sit.

I opened it up right away and disconnected the battery. I also disconnected the ribbon cables to the lcd and removed it. I'll let it sit and dry like that for a couple of days and see what happens.

Wondering if you have any spare phones around?

Here have always purchased my phones unlocked and keep a few in a drawer that I use occasionally.

Also have a modem connected using one SIM which is the failover of the failover telephones lines here which is hooked up to the phone lines in the house.

At a recent party, the activity later was to throw people in the pool. 

When they grabbed my son and dragged him into the pool,  he, and a few informed others, were screaming and trying to delay it...

The words?

....No!  Don't!    He has a phone in his pocket with 15,000 dollars worth of bitcoins!

The phone ended up on the bar when he went in with his clothes on.
Hopefully you weren't that unlucky.

mikefamig said:
I opened it up right away and disconnected the battery. I also disconnected the ribbon cables to the lcd and removed it. I'll let it sit and dry like that for a couple of days and see what happens.
Some alcohol may help. Not for your consumption but good rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner, as a drying agent. It mixes with the water, helping rinse impurities and then evaporates more quickly.

pete_c said:
Wondering if you have any spare phones around?

Here have always purchased my phones unlocked and keep a few in a drawer that I use occasionally.

Also have a modem connected using one SIM which is the failover of the failover telephones lines here which is hooked up to the phone lines in the house.
Nope just the one.

LarrylLix said:
At a recent party, the activity later was to throw people in the pool. 

When they grabbed my son and dragged him into the pool,  he, and a few informed others, were screaming and trying to delay it...

The words?

....No!  Don't!    He has a phone in his pocket with 15,000 dollars worth of bitcoins!

The phone ended up on the bar when he went in with his clothes on.
Hopefully you weren't that unlucky.
No, nothing of value lost but thanks for the thought. Just a lot of notes to myself and appointments and the usual stuff.

LarrylLix said:
Some alcohol may help. Not for your consumption but good rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner, as a drying agent. It mixes with the water, helping rinse impurities and then evaporates more quickly.

Good thought. I have some electronics parts cleaner that I can spray it with. i think that it's a good idea to stay away from the antenna lead with the spray though. My last phone didn't seem to have as good a signal after I sprayed the inside. I thought at the time that the electronic cleaner may have left a conductive residue that affected the antenna signal at the post where the wire connects to the phone. I can't prove it but I think that it's best to leave RF stuff dry.

Mike.

LarrylLix said:

It was the alcohol consumption that caused SIRI's demise.

5 or 6 years ago my wife tipped over in a canoe. Water was shallow, but her phone went under for several minutes before being found. Opened it up (flip phone) and of course it was dead. I put it on the work bench later that day and tore it apart. Let it set there for several days and then re assembled it. Turned it on and it worked just fine............and has ever since.

A hobby is flying radio controlled airplanes, often float planes at local lakes. Occasionally one will get dunked and all the electronics will be soaked. Nothing will work. After letting it dry out, it all functions fine.

Lots of electronics won't work when wet, but will resume normal function after completely drying out.

42etus said:
5 or 6 years ago my wife tipped over in a canoe. Water was shallow, but her phone went under for several minutes before being found. Opened it up (flip phone) and of course it was dead. I put it on the work bench later that day and tore it apart. Let it set there for several days and then re assembled it. Turned it on and it worked just fine............and has ever since.

A hobby is flying radio controlled airplanes, often float planes at local lakes. Occasionally one will get dunked and all the electronics will be soaked. Nothing will work. After letting it dry out, it all functions fine.

Lots of electronics won't work when wet, but will resume normal function after completely drying out.

I can hope. I was thinking of putting it in a 100deg F oven for a while.

Back