Replacing Legacy Smarthome SwitchLinc 2380, 2381, 2386 System

LukeC

My house from 2004 is filled with lots of Smarthome SwitchLinc switches that are dying. I'm having trouble finding replacements.

There are some in scenes that I'd like to keep, but there are others that I'd be just as happy to change to conventional (non-programmable) switches and dimmers. 

Are there any resources on how to replace existing SwitchLinc switches that have the three wires (load, line and neutral), plus ground?

I'm particularly interested in switching a few with two controls with one standard dimmer and one on/off switch.

Meanwhile, I'd like to reprogram what's currently working. Back in 2004, I think we did it on a PC with a serial port connection to an electrical outlet. Not sure how to do it now.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Wow I would congratulate yourself that they lasted THAT long.  They have never been known for high reliability.  They use a combination of X-10 and wireless.

If you want to keep them, you can buy replacements on Amazon.  If you really want to switch to something more reliable, I would recommend UPB which also works over a powerline.  UPB can run without any controller, which it sounds like you are doing. You can create scenes, or you can control them with a PC and an interface like Insteon. This will be a big expense, so maybe sticking with Insteon is all you need.

The present hardware Insteon devices. No longer support an optional  primary X10 address programmed into them.
So they would not control any of the old Smarthome X10 switches you now have.

Over the years here went from X10 to Insteon when first available.  Went to a whole house full of Insteon Switches here.  I used my OmniPro 2 panel to talk to the switches via X10 and Homeseer to talk to the switches via Insteon.  It worked fine.

Thinking today you can still talk both X10 and Insteon with current Homeseer 3 plugin if you wanted to purchase replacement switches.

Purchase an Insteon 2413S serial controller which talks X10 and Insteon. 

Are there any resources on how to replace existing SwitchLinc switches that have the three wires (load, line and neutral), plus ground?

The above said switched all of my Insteon switches for UPB a few years back and have had no issues with UPB.

You can just go to an analog switch if you want. (no automation). 

BTW - if you are not interested in automation of your Insteon switches or do not want to deal with future failures of the old Insteon switches then I would hire an electrician to replace all of them and go analog.  Most analog switches reasonably priced these days.

pete_c said:
BTW - if you are not interested in automation of your Insteon switches or do not want to deal with future failures of the old Insteon switches then I would hire an electrician to replace all of them and go analog.  Most analog switches reasonably priced these days.
What's an "analog switch?"  A switch can be "on" or "off." Wouldn't that be digital?  :unsure:

The only technology that I  am aware of that supports multiple loads in a single device would be UPB, I think there is a double switch.   Other than that,  you can resort to an wireless/micro module in the case of Insteon or ZWave for one of the loads and keypad for the other.   If you want to transition to  Insteon and/or Zwave I highly recommend the ISY as a controller.  I think it will support the X10 loads, but doublecheck that on their site.

The last piece of standard advice I have is 'use Wago wire nuts' because no matter what you go to, if it isn't a non-automated switch it is going to need to be replaced again and you want to get out of the business of twisting and untwisting wires.  IMHO it's worth the extra cost so you don't have to deal with broken wires in the future.

wuench said:
The last piece of standard advice I have is 'use Wago wire nuts' because no matter what you go to, if it isn't a non-automated switch it is going to need to be replaced again and you want to get out of the business of twisting and untwisting wires.  IMHO it's worth the extra cost so you don't have to deal with broken wires in the future.
Those look very really cool but also look like they use LOTS of room.

There are 3 sizes, 2 wire/3wire/5wire.   I don't know that they are any larger than a wire nut of the proper size especially if you use the good nuts with the "wings" on them.  It's a different technique, you line up the wires and fold them into the box.   I have been using these for  a long time and I  use them everywhere now, not just for switches.  So much easier and cleaner install at least with my skills.  :) 

Back