Ek M1 reboot and M1XEP Ethernet trouble

TrojanHorse

Heads up to those with reboot troubles and the M1XEP powered with VAUX output

Like others, I’ve been experiencing random reboots of the m1. Recently I cleaned up some of my wiring and decided to ditch the wall wart for the M1XEP and instead power it from the vaux output on the panel after reading this was okay to do.
I then had my first random reboot with this new configuration. Upon reboot I got an Ethernet trouble condition that didn’t clear by itself. I was home so after 10 minutes I restarted it and it was fine.
I had no other network troubles at the time so I think the problem is related to powering it from the vaux output. Also, when I’ve done manual restarts I didn’t have this problem.
I’ve connected it now to my auxiliary power supply. Will report back what happens at next random reboot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The XEP draws a significant amount of current - it's spec'd at 300 mA.  Depending on what other loads you have powered by the M1, such as keypads, zone expanders, smoke detectors, PIRs, etc, it's easy for the XEP to overload the M1's power supply.  Powering it from an aux power supply will probably solve your problem.

Thanks RAL but I’m not sure if that was the only problem since part of my project here was adding an auxiliary supply and I was under 1 amp per the spreadsheet on the M1 vaux and saux when this happened. I only had 6 smokes, the system sensor module and the M1XEP on the panel supply when it happened.

Makes me wonder now if my keypads will make more noise now on a reboot since they are powered from the auxiliary supply and will lose communication now during these reboots.

Edit: also have the relay board and hardwired zone expander on the M1 but no relays were active and my calculations showed under 1 amp. Part of the reason I apparently needed the auxiliary supply was the load of the M1RB even though they don’t trigger during alarms.

I had reboots early in my installation that disappeared after adding an Altronix power supply. The system was good for a couple of years but now I've had a couple of reboots, a few weeks between. I have always powered the XEP  by VAUX so I've never suspected that to be a problem.

I have however had the XEP restart a few times in the past when trying to log in and I wonder if it might not be a power related problem. I am going to move the XEP to the Altronix based on your experience and see how it goes.

Mike.

I always had my XEP powered by external PS and never had any problems with it. In fact I use an Elk output and rule to allow me to reboot the XEP remotly if I need. Works a  treat.

bucko said:
I always had my XEP powered by external PS and never had any problems with it. In fact I use an Elk output and rule to allow me to reboot the XEP remotly if I need. Works a  treat.

Hi Bucko,
Can you describe this setup?  I want to do something similar but I've assumed that if I'm in a situation where I need to reboot it then I can't communicate with it via the internet so I would need another way to trigger the output.  

TrojanHorse said:
Hi Bucko,
Can you describe this setup?  I want to do something similar but I've assumed that if I'm in a situation where I need to reboot it then I can't communicate with it via the internet so I would need another way to trigger the output.  

You can install a relay in the XEP power line and switch it using an output on the panel that can be turned off and on by an Elk task.

Mike.

TrojanHorse said:
Hi Bucko,
I've done 2 ways to reset the XEP so I have a backup.

Output controlled with Elk rule and using my Vera controller to trip the output.

I have this same setup to reset my DSL, router, Vera, XEP, and Office PC. I can also use teamplayer to remote to my desktop and do it all locally if need be.

Thanks Bucko and mikefamig.
I think here with my setup I would need a relay controlled by something other than the elk since I wouldn’t be able to trigger it remotely if the xep didn’t work. Unless I can create a rule that uses Ethernet trouble as the trigger which is perhaps what mike was referring to and would be best.

TrojanHorse said:
Thanks Bucko and mikefamig. I think here with my setup I would need a relay controlled by something other than the elk since I wouldn’t be able to trigger it remotely if the xep didn’t work. Unless I can create a rule that uses Ethernet trouble as the trigger which is perhaps what mike was referring to and would be best. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a couple of ways to deal with that.  One is to have a rule on the M1 that resets the XEP at certain intervals - say, once each night at 2am.  That won't get you instant access if it hangs up at 3pm, but at least it will come back eventually.

Another approach would be to use an ethernet connected relay to reset the power to the XEP.  As long as your home network is up and running, and you have things set up to allow access to it from outside, that would let you reset it immediately.

What I meant in my previous post is to dial in to the Elk with the telephone just in order to execute your task that reboots the XEP.

Here is a quote from page 21 of the Elk user manual:

Operation from an Inside Telephone:

1. Lift the telephone and listen for dial tone.
2. Press * * * to alert the control. The control will pick, disconnect the
phone line and dial tone, and announce: Please enter security code.
3. Enter a valid user code. If code is correct the control should
announce: Access Authorized.
4. Enter a menu selection OR press 0 to hear the entire menu.

Operating from an Outside Telephone:

1. Dial-in to the phone number attached to the control. After a
programmed number of rings the control should answer with four
short beeps. If an answering machine picks up, wait for the message
to quit and proceed as follows:
2. Press * * * to alert the control. The control will announce: Please
enter security code.
3. Enter a valid user code. If code is correct the control should pickup
announce: Access Authorized.
4. Enter a menu selection OR press 0 to hear the entire menu.

Mike.

EDIT - you must have the panel set up to receive calls before this will work. I think that there are a few globals that need to be set which you should be able to find in the installer and operator's manuals.

RAL said:
There are a couple of ways to deal with that.  One is to have a rule on the M1 that resets the XEP at certain intervals - say, once each night at 2am.  That won't get you instant access if it hangs up at 3pm, but at least it will come back eventually.

Another approach would be to use an ethernet connected relay to reset the power to the XEP.  As long as your home network is up and running, and you have things set up to allow access to it from outside, that would let you reset it immediately.
I use rules as well to do this. I only reset my PC and DSL modem and main router this way. I set it up for every 2 days. However my PC has it's own task to reboot every 24 hrs. The 2 day reset is actually a hard boot as it cuts power to these devices.

My XEP has always been stable and I do not have any sched to reset it. But I can pull it's power via the M1 or my Vera controller.

I was away from my home the past 9 months and while gone my house took a lightning strike. Everything was back on line in 24 hrs except 1 circuit breaker  in my house. Can't do anything remotely to fix that, nor did I know it even happened.  Of course it was the breaker that powered off my refrigerator which left me with a disgusting mess. I had to replace my fridge when I returned.  Ugh

Back