Elk M1 Gmail problem

Just means that you will allow clients that don't support OAUTH.   The M1XEP doesn't support OAUTH based SMTP.   So you either need to switch to a different email provider, use the "less secure" setting maybe with a dedicated  gmail account for the elk with forwarding, or use some sort of middle client that will monitor the Elk via the API and send the email in it's place.   

I am sorry to say that I consider the M1XEP a device to use for only accessing the Elk over the network and using the API, all  other uses are so outdated, unsecure, and buggy they are just an exercise in frustration.  Higher level functions are best handled by a HA software solution that can be and is updated regularly.

wuench said:
Just means that you will allow clients that don't support OAUTH.   The M1XEP doesn't support OAUTH based SMTP.   So you either need to switch to a different email provider, use the "less secure" setting maybe with a dedicated  gmail account for the elk with forwarding, or use some sort of middle client that will monitor the Elk via the API and send the email in it's place.   

I am sorry to say that I consider the M1XEP a device to use for only accessing the Elk over the network and using the API, all  other uses are so outdated, unsecure, and buggy they are just an exercise in frustration.  Higher level functions are best handled by a HA software solution that can be and is updated regularly.

My gmail account is very rarely used and dedicated to the Elk. While the xep is limited in use I still prefer it to running a computer 7x24. 

Mike.

i'm with wuench, then again my HA system is big enough that the Elk is only capable of handling perhaps 5% of it. I need a server 24/7, but I opted for using the free VMWare vSphere setup so I now have 5 machines running on a single server. I actually have a "user" VM setup with photoshop/quicken/etc, and got cheap tiny boxes to velcro to the back of monitors that just RDP into them. 

I continue to utilize STunnel here and it's running one of the RPi2's today.  That said I also utilize PFSense here and it is an offered plugin for PFSense. STunnel is also offered for OpenWRT.

Short status goes to T-Mobile sms text via Gmail.

stunnel.jpg

I may expand my automation some day but have no need for a computer server at this point. The reason that I chose the Elk over a simple security system is that I wanted to control lighting as added security and be able to automate the security functions. I got what I wanted by adding a half dozen UPB switches and that's the extent of my automation so far. I have a few Foscam video cams to look in on the dog and what-not and they're all stand-alone powered by wall-warts.

If I ever install a real surveillance system I expect that it will be PC based but other than that I have no need to run a server.

Maybe I'm missing something... is there a reason that you can't use the XEP with Gmail with the SSL/TLS settings that satisfy the requirements for both? 

I originally set the XEP to use smp.gmail.com - port 465 and it was fine for a few years but I recently got an email from google complaining that a less-than-secure device had been blocked from using gmail at 9am. This is the time that I have the elk send me an email each day to keep the account active and alive and those emails are being blocked.

When I set gmail to allow less-than-secure devices to access gmail the emails begin working again. I have tried both ports 465 and 587 with the same results. Gmail blocks the XEP unless I tell gmail to allow these less than secure devices.

Also a day after I got this warning from google my wife received a text message from an unknown number that included the text message from the ELK email message and asked her to click on a link. She knew enough to show the message to me and didn't reply to it. That message only exists in the elk and in the sent box of my gmail account due to the fact that it sent daily.

Mike.

drvnbysound said:
Maybe I'm missing something... is there a reason that you can't use the XEP with Gmail with the SSL/TLS settings that satisfy the requirements for both? 

I'm thinking maybe a new requirement that google implemented recently? That's all that comes to my mind.

Its possible Google enforced 2 factor authentication.. And if so, create yourself an app password and use it as credentials for the m1xep setup

treo650 said:
Its possible Google enforced 2 factor authentication.. And if so, create yourself an app password and use it as credentials for the m1xep setup

I don't understand. Two factor authentication involves a phone number or email as a contact to use to confirm a questionable login. How does that relate to the XEP? My XEP setup already uses an email address and password.

Mike.

Thanks guys I think that I got it figured out. I turned on two step verification and assigned an app specific password to the elk and my XEP  email tests are working. When 2 step verification is turned on the less-than'secure app protection is not available or defeated.

Two step verification won't be a problem here because I only use gmail for the elk and don't sign in or out very often.

Mike.

I also was running into issues getting emails to work with my new M1XEP setup.

Turns out I hadn't set the DNS IP addresses in the "TCP/IP Settings tab" of the "M1XEP Setup" window.

AFAICT the manual doesn't alert you to this requirement during setup - however it mentions it in the troubleshooting section. 

Back