• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:Ooma

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

I had a recent lightning event that took out several ports on a few switches. It also seems my M1XEP was a victim. I have tried multiple network cables and multiple switches. Lights all look good but it never connects with the switch. It worked flawlessly for years. Does Elk deal with individual consumers? Or should I just buy a new one and call it a day. 

#2 RAL

RAL

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1880 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Tech:X10-PLC
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:46 AM

I sent an XEP back to Elk for diagnosis and repair.  Depending on the damage, they may not be able to repair it, which was my case.

#3 GadgetNerd

GadgetNerd

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

Thanks, when I bought it originally in 2012 it was from a legit dealer. Given that I had several other devices damaged, I am sure the port has a blown component. I will probably just order a new one and make sure I isolate it better in the future.  Thanks! 

#4 RAL

RAL

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1880 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Tech:X10-PLC
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:31 PM

Thanks, when I bought it originally in 2012 it was from a legit dealer. Given that I had several other devices damaged, I am sure the port has a blown component. I will probably just order a new one and make sure I isolate it better in the future.  Thanks!

It's often difficult to determine the path that the surge followed to do the damage.  It could have come over the power line, through the power supply and into the XEP, or it could have come through the ethernet cable from the switch (which sounds like it might be your case).

If you have a whole house surge protector, and a local surge protector where the Elk and XEP are plugged in, plus a surge protector on the Ethernet cable, like the Ditek DTK-MRJETH, you'll have covered all the bases.

#5 GadgetNerd

GadgetNerd

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:39 PM

I feel fairly certain it came from a 12ft wood pole in my yard that has two cameras and a cat5 cable running back to the house.  Its a recent install and we have been here for 20 years and never had an issue.  I will be updating the surge protection here soon since storm season is just around the corner. 

Thanks again for the assistance. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users