4 replies to this topic

#1 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7388 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

Saw this link on the HomeSeer boards and thought it would be of interest to Cocooners.

This is a 'mega' sensor being developed that incorporates various inputs such as EMI, heat, sound, etc... and develop profiles that can be recognized for a specific item or event.

https://www.engadget...ack-whole-room/

#2 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3566 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1, HomeTroller, ISY-99, StarGate
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Sonos
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

I like the potential for the first order synthetic sensors but begin to get skeptical with second order and beyond. An analogy in my mind is if you have a sensor connected to the input of  Stargate or similar controller you can have actions based on changes at the input and have good confidence in the reliability of the system because the controller is monitoring the input directly. If instead you use a PC based system that maintains a state table representing the various inputs it is connected to and then drives actions based on changes in the state table you are one level removed from the actual condition of the input and there is a chance that some error will cause the state table to get out of sync with actual state of the input. This can lead to incorrect activation or failure of activation of actions triggered by the state table.

I feel like there is a reasonably high risk that misinterpretation of data from the first order synthetic sensors (maybe multiple simultaneous activities cause one to action to mask another) could lead to incorrect data or actions in the second order (and beyond) synthetic sensors.

#3 kwschumm

kwschumm

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

I like the potential for the first order synthetic sensors but begin to get skeptical with second order and beyond. An analogy in my mind is if you have a sensor connected to the input of  Stargate or similar controller you can have actions based on changes at the input and have good confidence in the reliability of the system because the controller is monitoring the input directly. If instead you use a PC based system that maintains a state table representing the various inputs it is connected to and then drives actions based on changes in the state table you are one level removed from the actual condition of the input and there is a chance that some error will cause the state table to get out of sync with actual state of the input. This can lead to incorrect activation or failure of activation of actions triggered by the state table.

I feel like there is a reasonably high risk that misinterpretation of data from the first order synthetic sensors (maybe multiple simultaneous activities cause one to action to mask another) could lead to incorrect data or actions in the second order (and beyond) synthetic sensors.

To put it simply, if a value is stored in two separate locations and they differ, which value is correct?

#4 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7388 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:42 PM

I see your point Mike.  What happens if someone is standing in front of an item (and they weren't while develping the profile).  Or, the item gets moved, changes operation, etc...  

Like you, I'm wondering about accuracy percentage over the long term.  Obviously, you would only want to monitor items not 'critical' and can stand a certain amount of inaccuracy.

On the other hand, maybe these profiles that are developed with multiple sensor types are accurate.  Heck, think back five years ago, and we would have never thought voice recognition would be as accurate as we now have with Alexa (this is one of the major reasons I'm getting back into automation as I've always wanted reliable voice control over lights and such)

#5 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 8424 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Here is a quickie clip and post picture of the megasensor.

You can DIY something similiar today with an RPi and or Arduino's

Attached File  syntheticsensor.jpg   187.28K   16 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users