Radio Ra 2 With Omni Pro II

ComponY

Does anyone know how to get the module and implement Radio Ra 2 into the Leviton system?

It's very easy to do.  You simply get a Serial Connectivity Cable, plug it in to one of the Omni serial ports, plug the other end into the RadioRA2 repeater, and then enter your integration IDs into units on the Omni programming.  Don't forget to set the serial port you selected as "RadioRA2".

neillt said:
It's very easy to do.  You simply get a Serial Connectivity Cable, plug it in to one of the Omni serial ports, plug the other end into the RadioRA2 repeater, and then enter your integration IDs into units on the Omni programming.  Don't forget to set the serial port you selected as "RadioRA2".

Cool! I'll be trying this! Thanks very much! Have you ever integrated with URC at all?

So I'm integrating the ID's now. However, is there a way to make sure the rooms are separated?

Not sure what Leviton means by "A1 / BR1-1" etc etc.

I want to have rooms, then the devices under the rooms.

Yeah, so HAI groups rooms into units of 8 or 16 (some panels are different, and I can't remember which it is off the top of my head).  That's what the 1-1, 1-2, etc are.  Room 1, Unit 1.  When it goes to 2-1, that's Room 2, Unit 1.

You can have blank lines in the units setup, you don't have to start at the top and go line by line.  So group your units into rooms... the first line of the room is the name of the room and also lets you select the technology, so be sure to choose RadioRA2.  You will normally NOT put a real device in the first line of a room when you are using RA2.  Then just fill in all of your devices, put in the integration ID, and profit.

Old thread I realize but curious if you like Radio RA?  I am looking at a new lighting implementation and considering Radio RA but know nothing about it?

Thanks!

Neil

Neil wants to migrate from using the OmniPro 2 panel / UPB lighting to maybe using Radio RA lighting in a new home.

He has been using OmniPro now for a few years and has purchased a few hot spares.

Initially Neil was considering WiFi switches.  

Reason for this is that there is no easy way other than using a software intermediate between the OmniPro 2 panel and using WiFi switches.

I suggested that the Radio RA stuff works fine with the Omni Pro 2 panel.   I also suggested using ZWave or Zigbee.

He has purchased Homeseer which works with the OmniPro 2 panel, MQTT, Zigbee, ZWave, WiFi switches et al.

PCS is the only company now selling UPB and Neil has had noise issues running his home with UPB / LED lighting / OmniPro panel.

@Ano moved to a new home with his OmniPro 2 panel and went to using Zigbee / HAI ZIM.  I think he is pleased with that.

Leviton no longer supports the Leviton ZWave stuff although the panel works fine with a VRCOP.  But I think that Leviton is no longer selling the VRCOP.

There are a few users here on the forum that have gone to using Radio RA.  One user went from using UPB in one home to another with Radio RA and the OmniPro 2 panel.

I suggested to Neil maybe entertaining Radio RA in his new home.  I also mentioned that there are a few OmniPro 2 users that have gone from UPB to Radio RA on the forum.

Neil, @Work2Play is one CT user which moved to CO and took his OmniPro system (I think) and went from UPB to RadioRA2.   

Here is a quote from another post.

Time to do some research and pick a new protocol I think.  I was a UPB user in the past, and while I really like it, the fact that they never kept up and bridged into modern consumer applications or integrated with Alexa or HomeKit is really disappointing.  It worked really well for me otherwise.  When I moved out of my house that had ~70 UPB switches, I moved to RadioRA2 and couldn't be happier except when it comes time to pay for it - it's quite expensive - but there's nothing better than laying in bed, watching TV on my AppleTV and just saying "Hey Siri, turn off the lights" and it does.  Good luck in your research - and if you want to ask questions, enough of us here have experience with all the protocols.  I've personally used Zigbee, Z-Wave, UPB, Hue, and RadioRA2.

I’m in the process of a conversion from Zwave to RadioRA2. Starting with one room to get everything working with the OP2 and other systems.   Can’t wait to retire my VRC0P as it has been the weak link in my system. I’ve replaced it several times over the years. SJ

Yeah I don't meet the criteria for Radio RA - its bigger than 5k and I am worried i Will exceed 200 devices really.

Also I am worried about distance and transmission and repeater requirements :(

200 wow...  200 is the max with dual main repeaters with RadioRA2. Next step would be Homeworks and that is really $$$$!

I have over 200 upb switches here.  With Radio RA a remote switch counts as one so if I have one on my nightstand and so does the wife that is 2.  With UPB I can fake it out and have repeat switches in the same position.

Radio RA also counts each shade - even if I want all three in a room to work together.  Just a bit frustrating.

Homeworks is hardwired so its not an option in this case.

Plugged my main repeater to my OP2 using the recommended Leviton 36A05-4 Serial connectivity Adapter Kit.  For that serial connection, went into Dealer PC Access and assigned the serial port Function as RadioRA2.  Assigned my test lamps to a new block of Units with a House Code Format of RadioRA2.  Assigned the Integration id for those lamps (from the RadioRA2 software) to the Address/Node ID.  Worked first time.  

Good article I found...

http://communities.leviton.com/docs/DOC-4814

I'm going to be converting over the next several months.  May keep some of my zwave devices.  They may work better with a smaller network. But at least I have an option to replace it all if needed.  Lutron also works well with several other automation systems if I ever have to replace my OP2.   SJ 

Dead link for me for some reason.  Maybe you need to be logged in there?

I've been in my new home and been installing "Treatlife" switches - they work REALLY really well.  I am starting to rethink life completely now!

Back