Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2143 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Premise
  • Hardware:Elk M1

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:41 PM

… with the assortment of drivers and other functionality, why keep Premise on the backend?

Because Home Assistant lacks two important drivers I require:

- HAI Omnistat/2

- UPB

I have little time or desire to create them for Home Assistant. It's far easier for me to just run Premise and Home Assistant together (bridged via a common protocol, namely MQTT).

- Premise handles all my 'legacy' devices and executes all the automation logic I've developed over the years.

- Home Assistant provides a UI plus functionality unavailable in Premise.

It's not all that different from how others rely on more than one system to provide a complete solution. For example, the last I heard, etc6849 bridged his Premise system with SmartThings and uses its UI to control Premise (and leverage all of SmartThings functionality). Some openHAB and Home Assistant users choose not to use the product's built-in 'rule engine'. They offload it to Node-Red (a completely independent system). In fact, SyseventBroker relies on Node-Red to provide MQTT functionality for Premise. MQTT allows for a level of modularity and inter-operability that was unknown to HA hobbyists a decade ago.

#32 chucklyons

chucklyons

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Software:Premise

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

Thanks, 123...Appreciate the data points!

I'll give it a try at some point, no doubt, after I finish my Premise-only polling UI - (because I need to finish this quest! And I apparently love windmills).

I have 6 months to get my RTI work done, so I'll have time shortly.

MQTT is definitely a key to keeping Premise alive. At least until they Open Source it  :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users