Dakota Alert Driveway Sensors?

kwschumm

We're building a new house with a 900 foot driveway up a hill with an 80 foot rise from road to house and want to install a driveway alert system.

I've been looking at Cartell, but the effort of trenching hundreds of feet down the hill and under 30 feet of garage pad to the house, is intimidating.

So I'm looking at the Dakota Alert DCPA-2500 wireless driveway alert system that claims a range of "up to 1/2 mile".

Does anyone have any experience with this company and/or this driveway alert system?

https://www.dakotaalert.com/store/2500-series-products/dcpa-2500-driveway-alarm/

Thanks in advance!

I have one in the exact situation you have.  900 foot uphill.  I found that I had to place the receiver on an outside wall (receiver is inside).  When it was in my wiring closet, it was not 100% reliable. 

AnotherOne said:
I have one in the exact situation you have.  900 foot uphill.  I found that I had to place the receiver on an outside wall (receiver is inside).  When it was in my wiring closet, it was not 100% reliable. 
Thank you! Much appreciated. Not sure about your situation but our lot is heavily treed also, which is yet another obstacle for wireless.

After reading the Cartell docs I discovered that the probe cable can be installed in the same trench as utilities. Since this will all be trenched during construction I've decided to go with the hardwired solution.

The hole is the expensive part.  Once the trench is open, fill it with empty conduit.  Seriously.

If you're building your own place, one you expect to be in a while, over preparation is cheaper than retrofitting later.  YMMV if you plan to sell relatively soon, a new buyer won't see or care about the preparation.

The same goes for walls, especially walls that can't be accessed from a top plate.  Get some half inch flex and run it to an attic space or equivalent.

I also had a couple of Dakota Alert's and they worked well, but the range wasn't as far as yours.  The only trouble I ever had was when water seeped into the transmitter box in a flood... so mount it higher <g>.

Dan

Back