Router help

mikefamig

Arris NVG448BQ router

I am adding a Hikvision camera to my LAN and my router is doing something that I have never seen before. I connected the cam to the network wired using DHCP and that was fine, the problem is that when I changed it to a static address in the camera settings the status in the router became "pending". The camera is in the device list of the router but the status is pending and the IP address is blank.

What strikes me odd is that the camera is accessible on the network at the static address that I set it to. It works fine but the router does not report it correctly.

Has anyone seen this? Any help?

Mike.

The router should also have the ability to assign the static IP address coupled with the cameras MAC address. Did you do that too?

kwschumm said:
The router should also have the ability to assign the static IP address coupled with the cameras MAC address. Did you do that too?

tried to do that but can't see that it is possible with this router. I looked at the DHCP reservation list which appears to be only DHCP assigned addresses. I can over-ride DHCP and manually assign DHCP address there but  not static. DHCP reserves addresses .10 through .210 and I assigned the .8 static as being out of the way of DHCP I just looked again and can not see anywhere to assign a static address to a device.

In the past I just assigned the static address in the camera and the router read them and reported them correctly in it's device list. It seems that the router can not read the Hikvision settings.

Guessing that the Arris NVG448BQ router is a multifunctional device which is a modem, router and switch or as described a VDSL2, ADSL2+ Gateways with 802.11ac Wi-Fi, voice optional device.

Thinking your device manual is here:

Arris NVG448BQ

For what you are doing lets look at the basics or defaults configured for the LAN side of the router.

What is :

Subnet / subnet mask of the LAN side of the router?

What is the gateway IP of the router?

What is the DHCP scope defined on the router?

mikefamig said:
tried to do that but can't see that it is possible with this router. I looked at the DHCP reservation list which appears to be only DHCP assigned addresses. I can over-ride DHCP and manually assign DHCP address there but  not static. DHCP reserves addresses .10 through .210 and I assigned the .8 static as being out of the way of DHCP I just looked again and can not see anywhere to assign a static address to a device.

In the past I just assigned the static address in the camera and the router read them and reported them correctly in it's device list. It seems that the router can not read the Hikvision settings.

Having a reserved DHCP address, where the camera MAC address is always equated to the same IP address, is nearly the same as static. If you put it there and set the camera to DHCP it should always be assigned the same address. Wouldn't that work?

kwschumm said:
Having a reserved DHCP address, where the camera MAC address is always equated to the same IP address, is nearly the same as static. If you put it there and set the camera to DHCP it should always be assigned the same address. Wouldn't that work?

Yes, now that you mention it my laptop pc has had the same IP address for years and it is assigned dynamically.

pete_c said:
Guessing that the Arris NVG448BQ router is a multifunctional device which is a modem, router and switch or as described a VDSL2, ADSL2+ Gateways with 802.11ac Wi-Fi, voice optional device.

Thinking your device manual is here:

Arris NVG448BQ

For what you are doing lets look at the basics or defaults configured for the LAN side of the router.

What is :

Subnet / subnet mask of the LAN side of the router?
pete_c said:
What is the gateway IP of the router?
What does that have to do with setting a LAN address?

pete_c said:
What is the DHCP scope defined on the router?
192.168.254.10 thru 192.168.254.210

pete_c

I tried your link and can't get the manual to download. I defeated my ad-blocker and ghostery but it just downloads a small php file which I am not familiar with,

kwschumm said:

Done and done.....but I'd still like to know how to assign a static IP. I've done it in the past for the security system and other cams.

Mike.

Found another link for the user manual.  It isn't much though. 

Arris Group NVG448BQ

There is probably a help on each tab / page on the configuration stuff.

OK so then your subnet is:

192.168.254.1 thru 192.168.254.254 / 255.255.255.0 / 24

Gateway IP: 192.168.254.254  * you need to know this IP for any static IP device configuration on your LAN.

Personally I like using the first IP of the subnet like 192.168.254.1 and moving the DHCP scope to the top of the subnet and decrease the number of IPs in the scope.  Not thinking you will ever have 200 IPs there anyhow...bring it down to 50 or 30 maybe.

DHCP Scope is: 

Yes the manual is just a quickie 1 page very brief summary that gets you started but nothing else.

If you want to configure your camera for a static IP then configure it with:

1 - an IP out of the scope of your DHCP
2 - subnet mask
3 - gateway address
4 - DNS (use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

or

1 - configure the camera for DHCP
2 - go to the router and statically configure the camera and pick an IP out of the range of your DHCP scope (although it probably doesn't matter).  On the PFSense router I just click on the device in the DHCP list and assign it an IP.

A router is a router is a router.

Enable the logging on the camera if you have issues with the camera connecting to your router or enable the logging on the router if the router doesn't accept the static IP device (the camera).

pete_c said:
OK so then your subnet is:

192.168.254.1 thru 192.168.254.254 / 255.255.255.0 / 24

Gateway IP: 192.168.254.254  * you need to know this IP for any static IP device configuration on your LAN.

Personally I like using the first IP of the subnet like 192.168.254.1 and moving the DHCP scope to the top of the subnet and decrease the number of IPs in the scope.  Not thinking you will ever have 200 IPs there anyhow...bring it down to 50 or 30 maybe.

DHCP Scope is: 

Yes the manual is just a quickie 1 page very brief summary that gets you started but nothing else.

If you want to configure your camera for a static IP then configure it with:

1 - an IP out of the scope of your DHCP
2 - subnet mask
3 - gateway address
4 - DNS (use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

that has all been done.

The camera is working perfectly with the static address 192.168.254.8 and it is also working perfectly using 192.168.254.70 which was assigned by DHCP.

The only problem is that when I do set the camera to the static address 192.168.254.8  the router  reports the cam's MAC as pending with blank for IP address. It reports the camera's MAC as ACTIVE and 192.168.254.70 when I set it to get it's address from DHCP.

Mike.

pete

I questioned the need for gateway address because I thought that you were referring to the external gateway address.

Mike.

The only problem is that when I do set the camera to the static address 192.168.254.8  the router reports the cam's MAC as pending with blank for IP address. It reports the camera's MAC as ACTIVE and 192.168.254.70 when I set it to get it's address from DHCP.

That is probably because the router is stuck a bit in DHCP mode with the mac address of the camera.  Disable and renable DHCP or reset DHCP should fix it and maybe upgrade the firmware on your router.

Personally as a learning experience I would shrink down the subnet and change from using the default IPs.  You should be able to save your configuration once you are done with this.

Default provides you with 254 IPs.

1/2 of that would be 127 IPs

1/4 would be 63 IPs.

Have a look here if you want to consider doing this:

Online IP Subnet Calculator.

pete_c said:
The only problem is that when I do set the camera to the static address 192.168.254.8  the router reports the cam's MAC as pending with blank for IP address. It reports the camera's MAC as ACTIVE and 192.168.254.70 when I set it to get it's address from DHCP.

That is probably because the router is stuck a bit in DHCP mode with the mac address of the camera.  Disable and renable DHCP or reset DHCP should fix it and maybe upgrade the firmware on your router.
No I won't go to that extent with this router. It belongs and is under the control of Frontier cable. If I configure it to my custom needs they can come and swap it out at any time and I'll lose all my work.

Before I'd do that I'd bridge this router to one of my own.

Mike.

Back