10 replies to this topic

#1 Mridixon

Mridixon

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

I just received my M1 control board and Im excited that I can now start putting my system together. Im sure this is my first question of many so Ill make it quick. How do you start to wire up the control board? Do the green casings come off the board or is a special connector needed for each zone. Thanks for any and all help in advance..

#2 RAL

RAL

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1880 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:X10-PLC
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:03 PM

The green screw terminal blocks can be removed from the board - they just pull off. Usually, this is done to make swapping a bad control board for a new one a quick process.   I like to leave the blocks in place when installing the wiring, as then I know just how long to make each wire to keep things neat.  You could certainly remove the blocks and install the wiring that way, if that's what you prefer.

#3 Mridixon

Mridixon

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Looking at the board and pulling on them ever so gently the terminal blocks don't seem like they want to come off. I'm aware you said they just pull off, but is there a good way to attempt it? 

#4 craigw79

craigw79

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

Mridixon, I'm in the same boat, but you're a little ahead if me. I have the M1 too. House is prewired, no connected or purchased sensors yet. Going to get the box mounted next week. Maybe we can help each other out.....trying to figure out best motion sensors for the price right now, and if I need to buy the Elk ethernet interface.

#5 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4894 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:28 PM

Craigw79 - the ethernet interface is definitely nice to have - it opens the door to using mobile apps like eKeypad, plus makes programming a lot easier. 

#6 RAL

RAL

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

Looking at the board and pulling on them ever so gently the terminal blocks don't seem like they want to come off. I'm aware you said they just pull off, but is there a good way to attempt it? 

The terminal blocks don't pull out easily.  You need to pull them away from the board at about a 45 degree angle.  It helps if you use a screwdriver to gently pry against the inside edge of the block, using the black cover over the M1 board to give you some leverage.  First, pry a bit against the middle, then one end, and then the other end.  The block should move a little.  Repeat the steps until it comes free. 

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

#7 Mridixon

Mridixon

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

Mridixon, I'm in the same boat, but you're a little ahead if me. I have the M1 too. House is prewired, no connected or purchased sensors yet. Going to get the box mounted next week. Maybe we can help each other out.....trying to figure out best motion sensors for the price right now, and if I need to buy the Elk ethernet interface.

Sure, that sounds good! I purchased the lager alarm can with the phone surge protector, insteon Ethernet adapter and the retrofit data hub. I had a honeywell alarm prior and the house was already pre- wired. I'm also using my existing motion detectors.

#8 craigw79

craigw79

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:19 PM

Craigw79 - the ethernet interface is definitely nice to have - it opens the door to using mobile apps like eKeypad, plus makes programming a lot easier. 

Thanks for your reply...If it makes it easier for programming, that would be worth it.

#9 craigw79

craigw79

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

Sure, that sounds good! I purchased the lager alarm can with the phone surge protector, insteon Ethernet adapter and the retrofit data hub. I had a honeywell alarm prior and the house was already pre- wired. I'm also using my existing motion detectors.

Cool, I'm starting out from a new construction house with a lot of wires going to a closet in my basement and a bunch of wires poking out of my drywall throughout the house.So I was going to start with the install of motion sensors only to get introduced to the system, then branch out from there.  Any thoughts from anyone on a good mid-range cost motion sensor model for use with The M1? 

#10 RAL

RAL

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

Any thoughts from anyone on a good mid-range cost motion sensor model for use with The M1? 

The Bosch Blue Line ISC-BDL2-WP12G and WP6G are good motion detectors to consider. They use both PIR and microwaves to detect motion, making them fairly immune to false alarms.  Proper placement is important with any motion detector, even the Bosch.

#11 Mridixon

Mridixon

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

RAL when you have a second can you please take a look at a second post I started regarding the ELK- M1KPNAV Keypad!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users