Elk-M1KPNAV Touchscreen Keypad

Mridixon

Guys/ladies, I just had a wiring question that i hope can be easily answered. Looking at the directions for the keypad I see that the data bus cable has a black/white/green/& red wires. The data bus cable splice/connect  into the keypad wiring of the same color. What should be done with the blue and brown wire. I see that the resistor should be connected to the blue wire and then back to the black wire. I'm at a loss for the brown wire though. Is it necessary for the blue wire to be hooked up? Does the brown wire go back to the black wire? I'm a little confused. Can i please get some guidance?  Thank you.

Attachments

• Elk Directions.pdf
    101.3 KB · Views: 11
The brown wire is for an optional output associated with the keypad. If you are not using that output you just tape off that wire. The blue wire is for an optional input and again, can be taped off if not used.

Mridixon said:
Thank You! Can you give an example of when the brown or blue would be used as an optional output!

The KPNAV and other Elk keypads all have a single input and output pair that can be used just like any other input or output on the M1.  These show up with a zone number of 192 + the keypad address.  So the input/output on keypad 1 would be input 193 and output 193, and so on.

You can use them for things that might be near a door where a keypad is located.  For example, the door contact could be connected to the keypad input, rather than running a separate cable all the way back to the M1.  The output can be used to control something like an electric door strike plate.  Some folks use the output to drive a status LED on the outside of the door frame so that they can see that the alarm is armed from outside the house.

Back