#1 jeffwilliams

jeffwilliams

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:47 PM

Guys-

New isp, using tmobiles broadband services and have learned that they use a private ip system and i am having major issues connecting from outside the network. Cannot get access to the controller from the outside. The dns services will not work due this private ip addressing system. Any ideas? Port forwards are not working either again, due to private ip sysyem That tmobile is using ...

#2 cobra

cobra

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Custom
  • Tech:UPB, Z-Wave

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

Most home internet providers use their own internal IP address schemes.  You can usually find your external IP by using a web browser from inside and using google or a number of other services to determine 'my ip address'.

Have you done something like that already?  Using that address, you can attempt to connect through the broadband service router.  Do you know what model it is?  Do they allow you to log in to it and change any settings?

#3 jeffwilliams

jeffwilliams

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

Well, i I wish it was that easy! I am using a new BEC LTE router. This is not the issue. What is the issue, is the fact that T-Mobile uses private ip addressing and port forwards, etc. do not appear to work because of this. Just wondering if anyone has found a way around it all...

#4 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 8674 posts
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

The BEC LTE router is a combination modem, WAP, Switch, firewall device.

I am using a modem with a T-Mobile SIM card as a back up to my primary ISP connection and an extra phone line.

It is a combo Firewall / WAP / network and modem device.  I use a PFSense firewall and cannot bridge the private modem network to T-Mobiles public - internet public IP network.  I also think that T-Mobile restricts DNS to their servers only and massages all of the traffic.

So the traffic in is:

T-Mobile ==> public IP ==> combo modem / switch / WAP / router / Firewall which is a private IP address as any combo ISP modem is.

Unless they have changed this to:

T-Mobile ==> public IP ==> T-Mobile router in the cloud doing private IP ==> your combo modem at home.

The issue recently came up here on Cocoontech with a Broadband wireless provider / user who went to asking the ISP to make adjustments to access his home automation stuff.

You can test your panel putting it / configuring it inside of a DMZ testing it to see if the ports are being blocked by your LTE provider.

Open a service ticket with T-Mobile and tell them your concerns or maybe use a VPN service?

#5 LQtechvn

LQtechvn

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Audio:HAI
  • CCTV:ip, dvr

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:58 AM

if you not sure your domain name work or not, you can visit : https://www.whatismyip.com to know your current WAN IP and  Try to put controller IP to DMZ to test

Edited by LQtechvn, 30 May 2018 - 04:58 AM.

#6 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 8674 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:01 AM

Here are settings for the PFSense firewall relating to the T-Mobile failover gateway.  Note here though my PFSense firewall has a single connection to the combo T-Mobile gateway and is using one NAT'd IP.

Use non-local gateway

Enabled - Use non-local gateway through interface specific route.

This will allow use of a gateway outside of this interface's subnet. This is usually indicative of a configuration error, but is required for some scenarios.

Monitor IP

Enabled and using 8.8.4.4

So here using a regular DNS server ping to watch dog the connection.

Good signal but huge amount of latency on this connection. 

T-Mobile RTTsd at 283.4ms versus RTTsd of Comcast at 1.1ms.  RTT = > round trip time.

Without the repeater the signal is around 2 bars and I am wondering if I am just amplifying noise.

Attached File  4barsA.jpg   50.67K   0 downloads

#7 LQtechvn

LQtechvn

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Audio:HAI
  • CCTV:ip, dvr

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

one other problem is router report wrong WAN IP. I was faced this problem and have to replace router

#8 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 8674 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:01 AM

Interesting...this morning had a CC outage and the failover T-Mobile internet access went out at the same time.

Cellular phone access though was unaffected.

A few minutes ago both CC and T-Mobile internet access came up at the same time. 

Makes me wonder what T-Mobile is using for internet access locally here? 

If T-Mobile is using the CC fiber locally here then I have no redundancy using my cellular internet access as a failover and might switch over to a second ISP connection here like maybe AT&T (been staying away from them in the last 10 years or so).

#9 cobra

cobra

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Tech:UPB, Z-Wave

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:24 PM

Wow, Pete, that would be inconvenient...  I use a backup Tmobile line as well, but primarily for voice reporting of an outage.  I also hoped that an outage would be more localized than my local cell tower.  No real way to be sure of that though, as your case shows.

#10 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 8674 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

Tested the T-Mobile back up this morning taking down the primary router via PFSense - test mode.

RTT times are in the single digits and internet transport was all back to normal.  Maybe it was concurrent sun spot activity?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users