Elk wiring if M1DBH, M1G, and homerun devices in 3 locations

IVB

Just replaced my M1DBHR with an M1DBH (which i'm regretting, but that's a different post).

I used to have the M1DBHR (in the basement) and an M1XIN in a 3rd location homerun back to the M1G, both sets of wires put into the +/A/B/- databus, no M1G termination, and all good.

But the M1DBH manual says to only terminate the M1DBH and the Elk panel. 

I hate to ignore manuals but can I terminate at M1DBH (in basement), M1XIN (in attic), and leave my wiring as-is with both sets of wires directly into the M1G data bus?

I'd think you'd be ok. The idea behind the M1DBH is to make terminating and trouble-shooting easy. The plug it comes with that you put in the last port is the terminator so if you don't use that and terminate the last device it should function properly.

IVB said:
Just replaced my M1DBHR with an M1DBH (which i'm regretting, but that's a different post).

I used to have the M1DBHR (in the basement) and an M1XIN in a 3rd location homerun back to the M1G, both sets of wires put into the +/A/B/- databus, no M1G termination, and all good.

But the M1DBH manual says to only terminate the M1DBH and the Elk panel. 

I hate to ignore manuals but can I terminate at M1DBH (in basement), M1XIN (in attic), and leave my wiring as-is with both sets of wires directly into the M1G data bus?

Do you have 4-wire cables on those home runs, or Cat5/6?

The DBH forms a daisy chain of the devices, using 6 wires in the Catx cable.  So it needs a terminator in the first unused RJ45 on the DBH.   If you don't have a second data bus branch going directly to the M1, then you need to install the terminator jumper on JP3 on the M1.  If you do have a second data bus branch, then it gets a terminator jumper on the last device in its daisy chain.

Think of the DBH as an ordinary data bus device.
Connect the DBH to the M1 panel data-A and data-B and terminate it by addig the terminator to it's first socket,
Connect your keypad to the M1 panel data-A and data-B and terminate it.
Remove the terminator from the M1 panel.

Now you have one long data bus that runs from the terminated keypad on one end through the panel and on to the terminated DBH.

With this done you can add devices to the DBH. Just remove the terminator plug from the first socket in the DBH replacing it with your new device and move the terminator plug to the second socket in the DBH. Keep adding devices to the DBH by moving the terminator plug out to the next socket until you run out f sockets. Do not terminate these devices.

Mike.

You can test your wiring and termination. Turn the system power off. Then test the resistance across data-A and data-B at the panel. It sould be ~65 ohms +-10ohms.

Mike.

Back