Stupid Elk M1XOVR question

hgupta1 said:
Since output 1-3 are on the M1G board, would the 8 relays on the M1OVR board be Output 4 to 11"

The M1 allocates outputs 1-16 as being on the M1 board, though outputs 4-6 don't really exist.  But you will find voltage outputs 7-16 on the J16 connector on the right edge of the board.

If you configure the M1XOVR as address 2, its outputs will be 17-32.

The address of the OVR will determine the number of it's output ports as RAL said but I wouldn't use address 2. If you expect that you may ever want to add wireless sensors then you should not use address 2 or even 3. The first wireless adapter must be at address 2 and any additional wireless adapters must follow it in address 3, 4, 5 etc. I would put the OVR and other wired adapters starting at a higher address like 12 or even higher leaving room for wireless add-ons later.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
The address of the OVR will determine the number of it's output ports as RAL said but I wouldn't use address 2. If you expect that you may ever want to add wireless sensors then you should not use address 2 or even 3. The first wireless adapter must be at address 2 and any additional wireless adapters must follow it in address 3, 4, 5 etc. I would put the OVR and other wired adapters starting at a higher address like 12 or even higher leaving room for wireless add-ons later.

Mike.

It's ok to use address 2 for the OVR.  Each type of device has its own address range, and the addresses don't conflict with each other across types.

Keypads are type 1, zone input expanders are type 2, output expanders are type 3.  So if you choose to add a wireless adapter at a later time, no problem assigning it address 2, even if you have an output expander that also is assigned address 2.

Thank you both!  I got it working on address 2, but I am going to switch it to 12 as you advised, Mike.   I know I am going to have at least one wireless adapter.

RAL said:
It's ok to use address 2 for the OVR.  Each type of device has its own address range, and the addresses don't conflict with each other across types.

Keypads are type 1, zone input expanders are type 2, output expanders are type 3.  So if you choose to add a wireless adapter at a later time, no problem assigning it address 2, even if you have an output expander that also is assigned address 2.

Thanks RAL, I misunderstood that. You learn something new every day.

Mike.

RAL

Now that I think about it I vaguely remember being corrected here in the past about addressing different types of devices at the same address. So much to remember, I don't know how you do it.

Mike.

Off the top of my head, there was one "gotcha" so you're not completely off, mikefamig.  Maybe it was that the 2 Way Wireless had to be the first one of that type, or something along those lines...

I'll also add that an M1RB can be added to the M1's onboard voltage-only outputs even without the M1RB if you just need 8 more or so relays... for anyone else reading along.

Work2Play said:
Off the top of my head, there was one "gotcha" so you're not completely off, mikefamig.  Maybe it was that the 2 Way Wireless had to be the first one of that type, or something along those lines...

I'll also add that an M1RB can be added to the M1's onboard voltage-only outputs even without the M1RB if you just need 8 more or so relays... for anyone else reading along.

Hey my memory is't so bad after all. I did install the two way wireless in my system and I'm sure that is what I was remembering.

Quote from the M1XTW instructions:

"
                  VERY IMPORTANT

The M1XRFTWM "two-way" Transceiver must be enrolled as the
first zone expander (Address # 2) on the M1 Control Data Bus.

And NO MORE THAN 3 additional M1XRFTWM transceivers may be connected to the M1 for expanded coverage. If added, the 2nd M1XRFTWM transceiver must be enrolled at data bus address 3, the 3rd at data bus address 4, and the 4th at data bus address 5. If there are any other existing model expanders (wireless or hardwire) already installed at one of these needed addresses they must be relocated (moved) to a higher address to make room for the M1XRFTWM(s). See Appendixes A, B, & C for additional details on the use of multiple transceivers.
No bus addresses other than 2, 3, 4, or 5 may be used for M1XRFTWM Transceivers.
"

Mike.

Back