• 3696 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1, HomeTroller, ISY-99, StarGate
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Custom
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:43 AM

This morning I am challenging myself to figure out how to handle the keypads if I decide to go with the Monoprice solution. I don't need keypads in each room because there will be a local Echo Spot or Dot in each location for day-to-day use and those will play through the amp in that room based on the presence of a signal... no need to turn on the zone. I also couldn't mount keypads in my plaster and lathe walls even if I wanted to. When I set up shared music for a party (or whatever) from the Zone Controller I will be doing it from my office where the source components are. So what do I do with the keypads?

One option I am considering is to have them all on the equipment shelf with the Monoprice Controller utilizing something like this: https://www.amazon.c...6HOH9AVE6&psc=1 but I'm still not clear if the keypads can mount into standard Decora plates.

Another option is to find discrete areas to put clusters of keypads. For example: the Living Room, Library, and Dining Room are all close together so I could stick a 3-gang box with 3 keypads inside the Front Hall closet as a convenient place to control those rooms. (Or 3 single gang boxes depending on the faceplate compatibility question.)

A third choice would be to reconsider HTD and use their app to control everything centrally from a tablet with no keypads or only use a couple keypads in places where it makes sense.

It's too bad nobody makes a system that will let you control multiple rooms from a single keypad. A single keypad at the equipment shelf plus a second one inside the Front Hall closet would be perfect for me if each keypad could select and control any room. I suppose i can come close by using a couple of tablets and the HTD app.

Are there any other options I'm overlooking?

#47 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

My challenge this morning is to figure out how I would use Homeseer intergration and/or a control app on a tablet with my system. This might turn out to be the main differentiator between the Monoprice unit and the HTD MC66. 

1- I don't need to do much control from Homeseer except muting individual zones in relation to a specific event like the phone going off-hook in that room. Unfortunately with my dual input amp design I can't mute the zones through the zone controller because that would not work when playing the local source. I will will have to do relays controlled through my Elk M1 to switch the speaker outputs in order to do proper muting via Homeseer. I guess it doesn't matter whether I use HTD or Monoprice from a muting perspective.

2- I do want to use zone controller status to trigger events in Homeseer and I'm not clear from reading the info on each plugin which would be better for that. It sounds like Monoprice status depends on polling rather than pushing status updates so I don't know how quick the plugin can respond to a change. Does anybody have experience using either the HTD or Monoprice plugins to trigger things in Homeseer?

3- It looks like the Monoprice plugin is well set up to do announcements from Homeseer and then reset the zone controller to its previous state. Does anybody know if the HTD plugin can do this?

4- HTD has the free "Home Control Valet" app that I can use to set up a couple of tablets as universal keypads that i can use to control any room. Has anybody found a similar tablet app for Monoprice? Would i have to use Homeseer to control the Monoprice unit from a tablet?

Edited by upstatemike, 16 August 2018 - 11:00 AM.

#48 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

Here is my thinking for muting but no decision on a multi-zone controller:

Attached Files

#49 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

Am I the only person who thinks it's odd that Monoprice did not include a mute button on the keypads? I know mute is on the wireless remote but it seems like something you might want to do from the keypad as well. Sure you can just run the volume down to zero from the keypad but it still seems like a strange omission.

#50 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:17 PM

Final Design and Configuration Price Comparison:

Price comparison excludes items that are the same in all configurations including serial to IP bridges, announce amp and related hardware, speakers, wire, and source components.

No keypad configurations (controlled via app or Homeseer)

HTD Zone Controller + OSD amps $1,000

Monoprice Zone Controller + OSD amps $1,050

HTD Zone Controller + HTD amps $1,480

Monoprice Zone Controller + HTD amps $1,530

Configurations with keypads:

HTD Zone Controller + OSD amps $1300 - $1,450 (depending on optional keypads selected)

Monoprice Zone Controller + OSD amps $1,050

HTD Zone Controler + HTD amps $1,780 - $1,930

Monoprice Zone Controller + HTD amps $1,530

Attached Files

#51 Monk

Monk

Dedicated Cocooner

• -=Platinum Supporter=-
  • 750 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • Audio:Russound
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

mike - you are looking good - my motto lately has been "..better to have and not need than need and not have.." and I tend to super-size things. Sorry I can't be of more help.

#52 TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1, ISY-99

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:45 PM

Mike, What did you end up going with here? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#53 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:11 AM

I decided to go with the Monoprice controller when it goes on sale again. I am holding off on the additional amplifiers shown in my diagram until the new HTD amp comes out in February so I can evaluate that vs. the HTD and OSD amps I have been testing so far. I also tested the Amazon Echo Link to see if that offered some new options to consider but it does not. I also used my three weeks of house guests during Christmas to do some testing on how music is used in party and social situations and this provided some new info for me to consider.

Bottom line is the Monoprice is decided but waiting for a price break while the rest of the design is being further refined.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users