UPS Monitoring for excessive heat

tonti

All,
I am in process to buy a UPS system to gracefully shut down my Security Camera server if there are longer power outages. The system does not need much and I have settled for the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD.

I am concerned about some reports of these UPS' overheating and potentially starting a fire. As I need to have this system in my wiring closet I want to monitor for heat and/or other indications of failure. My ISY994i and my M1 sit in this closet too and I have a few inputs left on the M1. 

Any recommendations? 

tonti

You can find incidents of just about any brand of UPS catching fire. I'm not sure I would be more worried about the Cyberpower than any other brand.  Batteries store a lot of energy, and when something goes wrong, the results can be spectacular.  Note that the Elk itself has a self contained UPS for its backup power and presents a similar risk.

If you want to monitor things, I would install a smoke detector and perhaps a rate of rise heat detector in the wiring closet. 

Here the newer UPS's are all CyberPower.  I have not had issues with them as well as the older APC's.  Only thing with my Cyberpower devices is when the batteries start to go you have to replace it otherwise the UPS is disfunctional.

96DF7DD5-0F33-497A-B5EE-D6550ADB6494.JPG

What a timely topic!
I was greeted this morning with a very HOT odor when I got to work. Turned out to be an APC UPS - I got the battery out (while wearing gloves) and am happy the place didn't burn down... 161 and hopefully it would have continued to cool down without my intervention. 3 hours later it was still over a hundred degrees.

Oh - I forgot to mention with regard to the OP - I have never had this happen before with any brand UPS. At home I use the following -

1 of CyberPower OR2200PFCRT2UA Smart App 2200VA 1320W Rack Mount Tower PFC Compatible Pure Sine Wave UPS
3 of CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS System, 1500VA/900W

I have full confidence in the CyberPower brand/

When I buy a single Smoke/Heat detector with 4 wires I should be able to hook it up to ELK M1 straight without any relays - right? Just connect the data wire to Zone INPUT and NEG and the power wires to +SAUX and NEG. I think I need an EOL2200 ohm as well - correct? 
Reading up on this I was getting confused whether I need interface module as well like the COSMOD2W. Any recommendation for a simple sensor combining smoke and heat?

tonti said:
When I buy a single Smoke/Heat detector with 4 wires I should be able to hook it up to ELK M1 straight without any relays - right? Just connect the data wire to Zone INPUT and NEG and the power wires to +SAUX and NEG. I think I need an EOL2200 ohm as well - correct? 
Reading up on this I was getting confused whether I need interface module as well like the COSMOD2W. Any recommendation for a simple sensor combining smoke and heat?

In addition to the EOL resistor, you also need an EOL relay.  The EOLR monitors the power at the last smoke detector in the chain (even if there is only one detector) so that if power is lost, the panel will be notified.  Without the EOLR, you could lose power, the smoke detector wouldn't be operational, and no one would ever know.

If you want a smoke and heat detector (without CO), look at the System Sensor i3 series 4WT-B.  If it is the only smoke detector you are connecting to the M1, it's simple to deal with.  If you have other smoke detectors on other zones, then things get more complicated.

The Elk 2-way wireless smoke detectors take all of the thinking out of installing them and when one is triggered they all make noise. I would also think that in the case of a fire alarm a wireless device is better than wired because it is not susceptible to the wires burning and causing a problem with the alarm.  I don't know why they are not more popular.

Mike.

Back