Temperature readings and the Omni Pro II

Instrotech

New to the the forums.Hi all. I have been searching far and wide but no joy. Within PC Access for the Omni I can see thermostats but these are not suited for just general reading of temperature. If I set up a Unit (z wave) it appears only as an on off device. I would like to read a z wave temperature and include it in automation scripts. It sort of seems that within Omni it is only allowing hard wired temperature via a zone?

You can use thermostat temperature values in the Omni automation like this:

19.    EVERY MINUTE
        AND IF THERMOSTAT_ATTIC CURRENT TEMPERATURE IS GREATER THAN 88
        AND IF Attic Fan OFF
            THEN Attic Fan ON FOR 8 HOURS

You need to select condition from PC Access menu and choose Condition Type = Temperature. You should see your thermostats under "Select Temperature Device"

I would like to read a z wave temperature and include it in automation scripts.

Using the OmniPro 2 you cannot read a ZWave wireless temperature device.

Here have utilized wired Leviton HAI temperature and temperature-humidity sensors for many years with no issues.

For Z-Wave and Zigbee, Leviton only lets you use the information they want you to use. You cant, for example, buy a Zigbee or Z-Wave window sensor and expect it to trigger a zone. And you can't get temperature information from these. You can turn on or off an outlet of light and dim a light, that is except if it is a RGB light and you want to change its color. You can't do that either.

One interesting feature that people don't really know about, is with Zigbee, if the bulb or outlet module supports it, you CAN see how much power the device is drawing, but the wattage only appears in PC Access, and there is no way to incorporate it into your programming. Maybe that was in the plans at one time, but it never got finished.

You can also purchase automation software with an OmniPro plugin and a ZWave / Zigbee controller and pair up wireless temperature sensors to the automation software controller and create a software event / trigger to control a relay or whatever connected to your Omni Pro panel.

I use Homeseer software today with autonomous X10, UPB, Zigbee and ZWave controllers.

It would be much more cost effective though to just cable the sensors to the Omni Pro panel.  ~ 50.00 USD per sensor plus labor to wire sensor to panel.

Back