Greetings from Arizona.................

DesertHiker

I was user of Superlink to control an Omni II in my house, and then Omni IIe in my condo.  Superlink was never better than just OK........and then it stopped working.  The hunt for an alternative is now underway, and NQ Link looks like a great choice.

My current IIe is quite basic:  lights, security, shade control, and a few other controlled appliances.  My prior Omni II controlled HVAC, but my current condo had a 3 speed fan system and I haven't found any HAI controllable 3 speed thermostats.  Perhaps a search of this forum will provide some help.

Another upgrade would be for me to learn how to integrate my Omni IIe with my A/V system -  through a Denon AVR-X3200W (an IN Command series AVR).  I trust this can be done but I need to learn how to do this.  Also need to figure out if NQ Link Lite will support this integration, or if NQ Link Pro is required.  

I'm a member of a few other forums related to my vehicles and other hobbies.

I look forward to learning from the forum, and hopefully being able to contribute.

Desert Hiker

Welcome to the forum Desert Hiker!

You can easily integrate basic functions of your Denon AVR to Omni using messages. That method will give you control via any application that can turn Omni units on/off. For the full integration you will have to look into adding a software controller like CQS or Homeseer.

Here is an example of integrating Power ON/OFF commands:

1. Create 2 messages in omni
PWON^M
PWSTANDBY^M

2. Create a flag DENON
3. Connect your AVR to a serial port on the omni (say, it is port #2)
4. Configure port #2 as Pro-link with baud rate of 9600 bps
5. Create 2 events in omni automation

WHEN DENON ON
            THEN SEND MSG1 OUT SERIAL 2
   WHEN DENON OFF
            THEN SEND MSG2 OUT SERIAL 2

You can also receive the status back via tracking these messages

WHEN RECEIVE MSG1
AND IF DENON OFF
THEN DENON ON

Hello.  I'm in AZ so deal with the heat also. :wacko:

Usually if your HVAC has many speeds, its not the thermostat that controls it.  If its a 3 stage AC, that is a bit different. Usually there are just two stages as its either low, or under a few conditions, it switches to high. If you have 3 stages, or variable speed, its usually proprietary so harder to find a solution.  But you can sometimes get that to work also by using a temp sensor and relays to control the stages and or fans.  Another solution if you have multiple zones is to use a zone controller to do the heavy lifting.

picta,

Thanks for the reply.  That seems simple enough.  I've done a very similar thing with a Somfy shade controller.  

Desert Hiker

picta said:
Welcome to the forum Desert Hiker!

You can easily integrate basic functions of your Denon AVR to Omni using messages. That method will give you control via any application that can turn Omni units on/off. For the full integration you will have to look into adding a software controller like CQS or Homeseer.

Here is an example of integrating Power ON/OFF commands:

1. Create 2 messages in omni
PWON^M
PWSTANDBY^M

2. Create a flag DENON
3. Connect your AVR to a serial port on the omni (say, it is port #2)
4. Configure port #2 as Pro-link with baud rate of 9600 bps
5. Create 2 events in omni automation

WHEN DENON ON
            THEN SEND MSG1 OUT SERIAL 2
   WHEN DENON OFF
            THEN SEND MSG2 OUT SERIAL 2

You can also receive the status back via tracking these messages

WHEN RECEIVE MSG1
AND IF DENON OFF
THEN DENON ON

Back