ELK M1 Output 2 Trouble w/ ELK 30W Siren

Eric2XU

Recently moved, reinstalled my panel, mostly working but output 2 troubles. 

I dont know how to wire it. There are three wires on the siren, taking two of them (siren and ground) to dump into output 2. 

I have tried adding a resistor to the ground side, didnt help. 

Is there any fancy thing I need to do to get power to it? I know nothing. I can follow diagrams but thinking perhaps there is something not illustrated I am missing?

I called ELK they told me to switch to voltage and it would work without a resistor (it didnt). 

I have it connected on voltage and I also have a resistor crossing + and - which got rid of the message but no idea if the siren is actually working.

Output 2 is supervised to make sure a speaker or siren is connected.  You shouldn't need a resistor connected across the outputs unless you are not connecting a speaker/siren.   The fact that you are getting a trouble indication without the resistor suggests that the wiring to the siren has an open, or the siren itself has a problem. 

Two things you can try.  Disconnect the wires from Out 2 and put a multimeter on the Ohms setting across the wires.   What reading do you get?

Write a rule to chirp the siren when you press the F1 key on the keypad:

WHENEVER F1 on ANY KEYPAD ACTIVATES
THEN CHIRP THE OUTSIDE SIREN 4 TIMES

With the wires and siren connected to Out 2, press the F1 key and see if the siren works or not.

Assuming that you have a 12vdc siren....

I would first connect a 12vdc source to the siren and see if it works. It it does work then connect the same two wires with the same polarity to the out2 connectors on the panel.

Then double check to make sure that global system setting G26 is set to "yes" for 12vdc output.

Quote  - G26 setting from installation manual -

G26:  "Allows Output 2 to be converted from a siren driver into a voltage only output. If set to
“No” the control produces alarm sounds for use with 8 Ohm speakers. If set to “Yes” the
control will produce +12 Volts for use with self-contained sirens or bells. Default is No."

Mike.

Back