LED car headlamps

mikefamig

Does anyone have experience with LED headlamp conversions. I had a halogen low beam go out and think that it would be a good idea for old eyes at night. I have just started looking around the net and have found that like everything tech it's not simple. I'd like to especially hear from anyone who did the conversion years ago and can say that they are long lived.

Mike.

Personally and do not know for sure that the halogen to LED lamp conversions have been around that long.

Here have been converting oldest automobile to LEDs very slowly.  

It came with Xenon HID's main lamps and driving lamps are halogen and continue to function fine.

Here is a chart of specifications.  I was not aware of laser illumination.

Wow 5000 hours on LEDs is nice. The oldest car with Xenon HIDs is now 17 years old and the lights are fine.

Headlights: Halogen vs. Xenon vs. LED vs. Laser vs. Conversion Kits

comparision.jpg

I took the car out in the dark and I'd say that the new bulb on the driver side was no brighter than the OEM Osram bulb on the  passenger side. It is a cooler white color though and I like that. While I was at Napa I asked the guy if they dealt with LED headlamps and he said that they don't because there are no LED headlamps approved by DOT yet. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Mike.

I would stay away from LED. In a replacement form-factor heat will shorten their life considerably because the current ones available are just one-piece arrangements, but if you look at how the car manufacturers make them, they spread out the components and offer lots of cooling via heat-sinks. Your not going to get space for that in a retrofit. HID conversions are something to look at also. Results might be better. I hear good things about them, and I have then as original equipment in my car.  Lasers, you don't have to worry, because conversions will likely never be available and now they are only available on one Mercedes and one Audi each car selling for over $100,000.  Also, on these installs there are many pieces, and for these automobiles the units cost in excess of $2500 for the pair. 

I'd do halogen if you just want cheap or HID if your willing to spend more.

Are you able to purchase an HID replacement for your automobile?

What automobile?

Some few years ago saw a DIY using a Walmart HID flashlight for an MB update. 

When I look at my HID's go on they seem to flip up or have some sort of shutter mechanism.

The only LED headlamps that I have seen that are any good are the ones that OEMs put in their cars. Hold off for a while.

Thanks for all the replies. I've done some more reading and agree that LED is not ready for car headlights. One aftermarket lamp used a little fan to cool it and I don't want any moving parts in my headlamps.

Are the Xenon HID lamps those bluish ones that I see on some cars? There are some cars that I've seen that I really don't like because the light is an unnatural blue color and I've always assumed that those are the HID but I'm not certain.

Mike.

Are the Xenon HID lamps those bluish ones that I see on some cars? There are some cars that I've seen that I really don't like because the light is an unnatural blue color and I've always assumed that those are the HID but I'm not certain.

A little bit maybe.  Their are fake blue coated halogen bulbs sold that are blue.  These are really blue.

Googled Ebay and you would have to purchase an HID headlamp assembly and control unit which would cost a bit under $1000 OEM new or refurbished.

Well found a new pair for ~ $400 plus around $100 for the control box such that it would be closer to $500.

Not really worth it.

Reading a bit on new HID lamps...

Due to their intensity, they can be known to dazzle oncoming traffic, so manufacturers employ self-levelling systems to prevent the beam pointing too high. This is particularly a problem in estate cars, when the back of the car might be weighed down with people and luggage. In many xenon-equipped cars you’ll notice the headlight beam dancing about when you first turn the ignition on at night – this is a calibration pattern to make sure they level correctly.

That must be what I see when I turn on my headlamps these days.

pete_c said:
Reading a bit on new HID lamps...

Due to their intensity, they can be known to dazzle oncoming traffic, so manufacturers employ self-levelling systems to prevent the beam pointing too high. This is particularly a problem in estate cars, when the back of the car might be weighed down with people and luggage. In many xenon-equipped cars you’ll notice the headlight beam dancing about when you first turn the ignition on at night – this is a calibration pattern to make sure they level correctly.

That must be what I see when I turn on my headlamps these days.

I've noticed the same thing on the 2005 SL500. When I pull into the darker garage the daylight running lights come on as you describe from the bottom up like a curtain rising.

Mike.

TonyNo said:
Cars in the US generally don't have self-leveling.

I think that in the case of the SL it depends on the car's suspension. I have what they call "ABC" or active body control and the car seems to have self leveling headlights. It would make sense because I can adjust the suspension height to three different levels.

Mike.

Ahh...never paid attention ....googling read this from 2015:

European regulations require that the headlamp leveling of HID-equipped cars be linked to the suspension system of the car so the lamps don't glare into oncoming traffic when the rear of the car is loaded down or the car is heading uphill. Xenon-equipped European vehicles imported to this country all have self-leveling systems. American regulations don't require auto-leveling.

In 2015 the Cadallac Escalade did not have self leveling HID lamps which is sort of odd.  Here noticed that the newer Escalade's appear to have self leveling HID lamps now...2018.

I read that many of the "blinding" light issues come from after market or folks that tinker or adjust their head lamps higher up.

My daughter and sister's new Hyundai's appear to have self leveling HID's or they are aimed down a bit as I do not notice the piecing light thing .

Back