Yamaha Musiccast Capable Receivers

BraveSirRobbin

Does anyone here have experience with Yamaha receivers with musiccast technology?  

My son recently purchased a home where the upstairs has built in ceiling speakers throughout with volume controls in each room, and this is replicated in the downstairs rooms as well.  The only problem is, the previous owner landed the upstairs speakers in an upstairs closet and the downstairs speakers in a downstairs closet (in lieu of landing them all in one closet/area).  

He wants to be able to stream from multiple sources including an echo show (upstairs) and an echo dot (downstairs) and would like the ability to broadcast throughout the home, or selected speakers.  He has no interest in an audio distribution system (like Russound), a home theater PC, or re-wiring anything.  He also has no problem manually pressing buttons on a speaker selector in the closet.  

In looking into this (as I know little of this subject) I found the Yamaha RX-V485 receiver with musiccast technology that looked promising.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V485BL-5-1-Channel-Bluetooth-MusicCast/dp/B07CF9H3KW

The problem is, he would have to purchase two of these for each floor.  I was thinking of wiring with a manual speaker selector/distribution system like this.   This would give him the option of Bluetooth input, plus streaming from a variety of Internet music sources, plus being able to sync both receivers via musiccast, plus control of those receivers via their phones.  

Any thoughts or suggestions on a better scheme?  

Thanks,  

BSR

View attachment Home Audio Setup.pdf  

Not with Yamaha receivers or musicast technology.

I used the do the same thing in my home in the 1980's except that I had the speaker switcher next to the audio receiver. One was in the master bedroom for bathrooms and other bedrooms and one was in the basement for basement and main floor rooms.

Only concern is relating to syncing of the sound from both receivers if you want the upstairs and downstairs audio sycn'd.

pete_c said:
Not with Yamaha receivers or musicast technology.

I used the do the same thing in my home in the 1980's except that I had the speaker switcher next to the audio receiver. One was in the master bedroom for bathrooms and other bedrooms and one was in the basement for basement and main floor rooms.

Only concern is relating to syncing of the sound from both receivers if you want the upstairs and downstairs audio sycn'd.
thanks for the reply.

i thought the 'musiccast' technology let you sync between the receivers (I'll have to read up on that again)

Can MusicCast stream high-resolution audio formats to multiple rooms simultaneously?

When multiple MusicCast devices are "linked" for playback, Master room playback is at the native sampling rate and other rooms down-convert to 48kHz. Playback of DSD content is not available in the Link mode.

You should be fine with using Musicast.   

It is the same syncing with Sonos or Squeezeplayers.  

I do similiar here with Squeezeplayers plugged in to an AVR and the Russound stuff. 

The Squeezeserver mother ship which runs on my MythTV box manages the SqueezePlayers.   

The Pioneer AVR and remote are really too complex for me here (and do not utilize a tablet or phone to remote to AVR)  and while chock full of features I only turn it on or off and change a few sources on it.

Kind of a waste of using the Yamaha AVR in a closet.

Here did a subsystem of a Russound zoned system in the master bedroom and master bathroom. 

The subsystem AVR in the master bedroom was connected to the AVR in the family room.

Audio media content was shared between the two AVRs. 

I put an AB switch next to the Russound controller on the wall to switch audio output.  All of the wiring was done from the attic and built a chase from the basement to the attic here. 

This would involve moving the 2nd floor speaker wires from the closet to the master bedroom though. 

Back