OP2 Ethernet connection

sjht

I was at CEDIA last week and had a conversation with the Leviton and Worthington folks about the issues I had in the past with the Ethernet connection on my OP2. Was fixed by adding a small router in front of the connection thanks to feedback from this forum. They were 99% sure the issue is when the OP2 is connected to a Gigabit port from a router/switch. The OP2 just doesnt seem to like this. Maybe because of the older network components. They even had an issue setting up their OP2 at the show. All is suppose to be solved by only connected to a 10/100 Ethernet connection. Just passing on this info if it hasnt been mentioned as something to try if you are having any type of issues. SJ

MY OPII runs on a gigabit switch without issue.  No doubt it has something to do with auto-negotiation, but it's not 100% failure with gigabit.

Here using two Omni Pro 2's never saw the issue with one OP2 connected to one 8 port 10/100Mb switch and around 4-5 network devices in a time span of around 10 years plus. This OP2 was connected to a combo FIOS router/switch. The STB's were on a separate network and computers / OP2 were on separately connected firewall router bridged to one ethernet port on the FIOS router combo.

2nd OmniPro 2 in my home sandbox saw the "network" issue crop up with a similiar 24 port 10/100Mb switch connected to multiple 24 port Gb switches.  The network device count went over 100.  Initially it was serial and time sync issues.  The solution at the time was to remove the network connection.  The OmniPro 2 worked fine then serially connected to an Omnistat, Omnitouch 5.7's (serial), Russound and serial automation control.  Went to testing the connection with an old hub which for me did not fix it. Documented here on the forum.

I opened a service ticket with HAI at the time and they basically told me not to send the OmniPro 2 back to them as the issue related to a network connection that was too promiscous early design and they wouldn't be able to fix it.

Ideally Leviton should offer a hardware patch / redesign of the network interface for the OmniPro 2. That said they are on legacy mode and will most likely never do this. IE: the email / clock interface board is an HAI designed board from the early 2000's and is very primitive with a serial and an autonomous ethernet connection never sold until recently.

ALL of the above has been documented here on the forum for years now and the same issue occurred with a few OmniPro 2 users which posted here on the forum. One user sent his OP2 back to HAI to fix and he mentioned on the forum that they did fix it. Not sure what they did though to fix it.

After testing with a variety of network devices including old 10Mb hub, 100/10 Mb autonegociating switches, 1000Mb Gb managed and unmanaged switches went the router mode and have not had an issue since.  Using a managed switch tested setting the OmniPro 2 connected port to 1/2 duplex 10 Mbs and that did not work at the time.

I also tested cold booting the OmniPro 2 and updating firmware a few times when issues occurred.

Today I am using a tiny

Nexx WT3020 (8M) MediaTek MT7620N ver:2 eco:6 hardware

running OpenWRT firmware OpenWrt 18.06.1 today.  Picked this micro router because it fits inside of the HAI OmniPro 2 can and can be powered by the OP2 12VDC.  The LAN side of the network connected to the OmniPro 2 ethernet port shows 10baseT 1/2 duplex and the WAN side ethernet port going to the rest of the network shows 100 baseT full duplex.

syslog on reboot shows

Sun Sep 16 07:22:12 2018 kern.info kernel: [ 1.682464] mtk_soc_eth 10100000.ethernet eth0 (uninitialized): port 0 link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)
Sun Sep 16 07:22:12 2018 kern.info kernel: [ 1.700662] mtk_soc_eth 10100000.ethernet eth0 (uninitialized): port 4 link up (10Mbps/Half duplex)

Today using another OpenWrt micro router utilizing the WLAN interface for Sonoff devices running Mosquitto and dedicating these wireless Mosquitto devices to one Wireless AP in automation sandbox.

It's been running fine now for a couple of  years.  I just recently updated the firmware to utilize most current version of OpenWRT.  It has been working fine with the updated firmware.

The above noted it is a joke that I have to do this with the Omni Pro 2 panel considering the cost or spend on this system.

@ SJHart - you're lucky!  The method Leviton/Wellington suggested does NOT always work to resolve Omni networking issues but here's to hoping it will solve most.  I've seen OPII's that required manually setting a port to 10MB (duplex or half depending on chance) to work, while others to 100MB, and even Gigabit with auto negotiate will sometimes work fine; on the same major brands of network switches and even cheap less known brands.

Pete really sums up the issue well as he so often does.

It would be cool if Leviton would release a new OP or perhaps offer a combo board - Email Notifier with Networking that could solve the issues of both - as a fix at this point given so many have already invested in this aged tech.  Leviton has the power to do this and create something that makes remarkable look super-remarkable again. :)

I doubt that Leviton cares. 

One user here did send his OP2 panel back to HAI (or Leviton) and told them to fix it and they did.

The combo email time sync board is a very old primitive design which works and was probably designed and never implmented in the early 2000's.

Leviton fat fingered the Omni Pro legacy firmware such that old stuff didn't work to get the new Android based OmniTouch screens to work. Totally ignorant move on their part.  

On a tangent of sorts....

Ideally it would be nice if Leviton would update the OmniPro firmware to work with a new Leviton (serially) WiFi switch controller. Thinking more folks would purchase the new Leviton Wifi switches for their Omni Panels than the new Omnitouch screens.

I see similiarities between the Leviton WiFi switch and all of the el cheapo WiFi switches.  Guessing too that the Leviton WiFi switch is using an ESPXXX chip.

All of the basic light switch controls are the same on the panel.  IE: they are all units and they go on and off and dim. 

Back