Best garage door opener for my needs.

ghurty

I am going to have Lutron RA2 lights as well as an ELK system. What is the best garage door opener that I should buy that will let me control it?

Thank you

I did this evaluation a couple years ago and concluded that I did not want one of the high end garage door openers.   Most of the top end models can be monitored and controlled with an app.    The wire from the wall control to the opener is a data line.    The mid range models have a "dumb" wall control.   If you short the two terminals on the wall control, you operate the opener.   Therefore, connect an Elk relay to the wall control and your Elk is now in control.    

I also added two Garage door reed switches (one top and one bottom) so my panel can monitor the status of the door.

I have been very happy with this system.   When I eventually replace my opener, I just buy another "dumb" opener, no programming required.

Here upgraded to a newer Chamberlein with onQ logos written all over it. 

Thinking these days all of the legacy GDO opener companies are owned by one company eh?  

Personally here though not using any onQ features with it and still very analog with reed sensors for open and close et al. 

The analog to digital "button" connection is different today having to do similiar to your post BSR. 

Wires go to Omni Pro 2 panel.  

I am testing a cheapo $4.00 SonOff Wifi module with easy peasey GPIO ports and using Mosquitto to do a side by side comparison using WiFi.   

SonOff - GDOStuff.jpg

Difference is that the WiFi module plugs in to the 120VAC outlet over the GDO and it is analog connected to reed switches, button and one temperature sensor.  

Shorter wires.  

It is just as fast as the OmniPro 2 connection with longer wires. 

That said with a dedicated WAP it works even though here am not a fan of WiFi automation.

Hey Pete!
I have a bunch of the Sonoff WiFi modules...I haven't been able to do much research on it yet but is there an API readily available now?  I read something about having to update the firmware so that local control can be used?
Certainly we are interested in local Wifi (not cloud).

The replacement firmware that I am seeing for SonOff devices is multifunctional and easily available.  Looks to me that all of the new WiFi devices are using same or similiar ESP chips.  It's very similiar to the Arduino stuff going on.  Only that you do not need to bread board it.  The $4 SonOff has everything right on the main board and typically has wire traces to JTAG and upgrade the firmware.

That and the authors are including pieces for common open source automation like OpenHab, Home assistant and Domoticz with Mosquito and HTML control.

Easiest just to google Sonoff upgrade firmware.  For video's you can do the same on YouTube.

After first time update you can update the firmware to a new revision via WiFi such that you never have to physically touch the device.

Here are web interface pictures of the combo garage door opener, sensors and temperature stuff on a custom Tasmota firmware made by MCS Michael.

Been checking out the response timing relative to the hard wired OmniPro 2 panel wired stuff.  It is same speed to me.

SonoffWiFi basic GDO.jpg

Just used a different firmware called ESPurna for upgrading a 5 channel RGB controller which cost $8.

EESPurna.jpg

The API / source code is public and many users modify it for their own use.

Sonoff-Tasmota Web, MQTT and OTA firmware using Arduino IDE or PlatformIO

Alternative firmware for ESP8266 based devices like iTead Sonoff with web, timers, 'Over The Air' (OTA) firmware updates and sensors support, allowing control under Serial, HTTP, MQTT and KNX, so as to be used on Smart Home Systems. Written for Arduino IDE and PlatformIO.

Easiest way to program the H801 RGB controller is just to upload the firmware.
IE: first time boot is in AP mode. Just configure a password and configure AP and configure settings. You can use telnet and create a static IP for the device. I am currently assigning a static IP using DHCP on the Tasmota devices.

install esptool ==>

pip install esptool

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash -fs 1MB -fm dout 0x0 espurna-1.13.2-huacanxing-h801.bin

Concurrently here redoing my 1-wire networks such that they utilize Mosquitto.

Old original 1-Wire used Maxim and Midon Temp05's and Temp 08's to autonmous serial connections.  It was multiple cat5e wires punched down to a block configured in a star topology.  Used direct serial and xAP at the time. Worked fine for many years.

Newer 1-Wire configuration went to using two RPi's running OWFS to Mosquitto via Node Red.  Works fine this way.  Too much overhead though.

The POE RPi in the attic is multitasking today running ZWave (ser2net), Node Red to Mosquitto, HB 1-Wire lightning sensor and an SDR for NOAA old weather satellite picture downloads.

Newest 1-Wire configuration is more basic and will be utilizing two $4.00 Sonoff's with DS18B20 / DHT22 sensors.  One mounted in the basement for basement, outdoor and main floor temperature / humidity sensors.  Another one in the attic for attic and 2nd floor sensors.  All this now will be using wireless such that it is a combo wired and wireless device.  Testing first device and slowly starting to add sensors to it.  I mounted one arduino style DS18B20 sensor directly to the Sonoff.  Temperature's are way off such that I will not be using these anymore.  #3 sensor below is the Arduino style DS18B20 sensor.  It is way off and has nothing to do with the surface temperature of the plastic sonoff case. 

sonoff1wire.jpg

The basement RPi OWF/Node Red is also a Mosquitto broker. Tested running a Mosquitto broker on the micro travel router inside of the OmniPro panel and it works fine with OpenWRT so may RPi Mosquitto broker over to the OpenWRT microrouter...smaller footprint. That and have a couple of python scripts doing Mosquitto router stats.

pete_c said:
Concurrently here redoing my 1-wire networks such that they utilize Mosquitto.

Old original 1-Wire used Maxim and Midon Temp05's and Temp 08's to autonmous serial connections.  It was multiple cat5e wires punched down to a block configured in a star topology.  Used direct serial and xAP at the time. Worked fine for many years.

Newer 1-Wire configuration went to using two RPi's running OWFS to Mosquitto via Node Red.  Works fine this way.  Too much overhead though.

The POE RPi in the attic is multitasking today running ZWave (ser2net), Node Red to Mosquitto, HB 1-Wire lightning sensor and an SDR for NOAA old weather satellite picture downloads.

Newest 1-Wire configuration is more basic and will be utilizing two $4.00 Sonoff's with DS18B20 / DHT22 sensors.  One mounted in the basement for basement, outdoor and main floor temperature / humidity sensors.  Another one in the attic for attic and 2nd floor sensors.  All this now will be using wireless such that it is a combo wired and wireless device.  Testing first device and slowly starting to add sensors to it.  I mounted one arduino style DS18B20 sensor directly to the Sonoff.  Temperature's are way off such that I will not be using these anymore.  #3 sensor below is the Arduino style DS18B20 sensor.  It is way off and has nothing to do with the surface temperature of the plastic sonoff case. 

attachicon.gif
sonoff1wire.jpg

The basement RPi OWF/Node Red is also a Mosquitto broker. Tested running a Mosquitto broker on the micro travel router inside of the OmniPro panel and it works fine with OpenWRT so may RPi Mosquitto broker over to the OpenWRT microrouter...smaller footprint. That and have a couple of python scripts doing Mosquitto router stats.

Hi,

So you are saying that all the sensor+sonoff combos are not very usable because the temperature readings are incorrect ?

I vaguely recall helping a friend out with an ESP32 based ADC project. We discovered that the ESP32 ADC is impacted by noise and  non-linearity so much that some folks had to implement a custom formula in firmware to correct the ADC issues (you can google for "ADC" and "ESP32").  It seems that while the sensors may be OK, the uC ADC (esp8266 ?) might be distorting the readings.

So you are saying that all the sensor+sonoff combos are not very usable because the temperature readings are incorrect ?

No. 

Just the DS18B20's mounted on a tiny boards meant to be utilized with an Ardunio is way off temperature wise.

There is an LED mounted on the board that illuminates with the 3.3VDC / 5.0VDC. Wondering if it is the LED causing my grief.

Initially mounted these on the Sonoff WiFi case.  Thought first it was related to the temperature of the case but it is not even warm.

Purchased these in an arduino tinkering kit with all sorts of sensors a few years back.  Not sure why the temps are off. 

I only had two in the kit and it is easy to just cut them off the top of the SonOff Wifi device and replace them with an AAG sensor.

1-wire.jpg

All of the other DS18B20 sensors from AAG, Midon and Hobby Boards and just the D18B20 chips all work fine that I am testing with the Sonoff Wifi Tasmota firmware device.

Only thing is that the Tasmota firmware doesn't recognize the old Maxim humidity sensors such that I have to utilize DHT22s.

pete_c said:

All of the other DS18B20 sensors from AAG, Midon and Hobby Boards and just the D18B20 chips all work fine that I am testing with the Sonoff Wifi Tasmota firmware device.

Only thing is that the Tasmota firmware doesn't recognize the old Maxim humidity sensors such that I have to utilize DHT22s.

Got it.  Thanks.

Back