Rock64 4K now working

pete_c

Guru
Have been waiting now for over a year for the RTC add to the Rock64.

New other feature add is a POE hat to the Rock64.

rock64.jpg

Plans here are to utilize the Rock64 as a firewall combo automation server inside of the Leviton HAI OmniPro 2 can.

Currently running the Pine64 2 Gb computer as an automation server.  It's been 2 years and doing well.

Just read that 4K video playback is working well running with Ubuntu.

With this feature may upgrade my current KODI Digital Engine to the Rock64 for a smaller footprint.

RTC keeps being an issue for you, have you considered doing something like adding a GPS module or something?  Have your own network time server and let everything else talk to that?

From what I saw on their website it only looks like the RockPro64 has support for RTC (adding a battery).

Yeah here very time sensitive relating to automation.

Installed an NTP server here in the late 1990's. 

Today the PFSense box is connected to an NTP / PPS GPS.  It is working fine.

pfsensegps.jpg

The currently utilized Pine64 has a built in RTC battery connection.  The Rock64 is a much smaller board than the Pine64.  The original desigh did not include an RTC battery connection to the RTC onboard.  It was promised with an update to the Rock64 well over a year ago.

Currently utilizing an micro router running OpenWRT inside of the OP2 can.  It functions as a firewall and has some home automation features to it.  It is though restricted with a tiny CPU and little space for programs.

Direction here is to install said Rock64 inside of the OmniPro 2 can such that it functions as:

1 - firewall - band aid fix to old designed ethernet port on the OP2
2 - Homeseer server
3 - Home Assitant server
4 - mosquitto broker
5 - Node Red

Next endeavor now is to maybe try 4K Kodi on the Rock64.

I stay away here from using Android for KODI and want 4k video from Ubuntu KODI.

Current KODI boxes are running on AOpen digital engines / Ubuntu 64 bit.  They do well but there is no 4K playback.

Interesting board.  Is the wifi option only a usb wifi adapter?  I'm looking for boards with 2 USB, GPS or another USB for GPS, and wifi.  It looks like I'd need a USB hub with a Rock64 if I needed 3 USB plus wifi?

Yeah it looks like they used to sell a WiFi card for the Rock when it first came out.

Someone on the board did connect an ESP WiFi module to the Rock64.

Relating to the GPS you could connect it serially freeing up the USB ports.

Curious what you are planning on building?

Working with some Stratux hardware.  It's a Raspberry Pi based ADS-B (aircraft flight tracking) receiver.  The same hardware can be used for FlightAware and other crowd sourced airplane tracking systems.  Other CPUs have been used, but the Pi seems to be the most popular presently.  I like to keep my eyes open for other options.

Yeah I would stick to the documented RPi stuff. 

That said here continue to utilize the RPi for a few devices. 

My attic RPi today is currently a 1-wire Node Red OWFS box, ZWave with GPIO ZWave card, RTC wedge with battery and SDR radio for NOAA satellite mapping. 

The Pine64 / Rock64 can run OS in 64bit mode which I cannot do with the RPi / 1 Gb computer. The Pine64 computer was the same price as the RPi2. The case was unique and more expensive than an RPi case.  

I have been switching over to using a modified Sonoff WiFi basic here for 1-wire temperature and humidity sensors such that I will have two of these in place soon replacing the Node Red / OWFS stuff.   Relating to weather here using Davis / CumulusMX (on a RPi) want to switch over to using WeeWx, Mosquitto and adding 1-wire stuff and a Meteo stick for that device.

ARM.jpg

Nice!  Yeah, still experimenting with Pi models.  The Pi Zero has a nice power consumption, but not working well when a USB hub is added.  The larger Pi's work fine, but would like something smaller and lower power...  

The Pine64 2Gb LTS computer is $32 today and will run circles around any RPi.  (1,2 or 3)  

Cases / power supplies / eMMC / WiFi card are cheap for the Pine64 these days.  

If you want to utilize GPS / PPS  you will need to do this with a serial connection rather than a USB connection.

You could maybe try an OpenWRT router. Slower CPU and less play memory.  Will work fine with Python or compiled C stuff.

Thanks for the pointers...  Yeah, those units need 2 x USB for the Software Defined Radio (SDR) receivers, GPS is another one for an easy connection.  

Yes relating to GPS you need to clock sync via clock chip on the device which really can only be done via a serial connection. 

I mean it works with a USB==> serial connection but not really well.

Have a read here about using a GPIO GPS which you can install in a RPi or Pine64 for making an NTP server.

With the RPi here utilize a GPIO RTC clock wedge with a battery then for ZWave a GPIO module on top.

Back