Addressable Spring Pan Style RGBW Downlights For Soffit

Heyall, I'm rebuilding my house. I have about 30 lights I plan to put in the exterior aluminum soffit of the house. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/TORCHSTAR-Ultra-Thin-Can-Killer-Equivalent-ETL-Listed/dp/B07FFNFJZV/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1541204040&sr=1-9&keywords=dimmable+downlight except RGBW, however I'd like to address each one individually. I like wired setups. So I'm looking for 1: very thin spring style RGBW lights like this that can be indiviudally controlled by wire. 2. a controller that can handle 30rgb channels. 3. Protocol:I don't know yet. I have an elk m1, so maybe insteon or upb. My problem is I havn't been able to find thin rgbw lights that have a four wire input. They seem to mostly be 2 wire input with either wifi or radio control. Anyone have any suggestions?

You can purchase an X10, ZWave or Zigbee RGB controller today.  RGB lamps use 4 wires and RGB + W + WW uses 6 wires.  There is no mechanism to bypass the multiple channels to controller wires (power).  

You can go with a DMX controller which would work for your stuff.

Here recently playing with a Wifi RGB controller with 5 channels.  (RGB + W + WW).  The controller will do up to some 35 Amps / 106 watts per channel. 

Read about the H801 (H801) WiFi controller here ==> closer-look-h801-led-wifi-controller

Putting the controller board in a larger case and adding an ethernet port to it would not really be much of an issue.

I currently utilize Espura firmware on it and it speaks mosquitto.

The H801 Espuma web interface looks like this:

H801.jpg

Last year installed one similiar LED dimmable downlight in the shower here.   It is holding up fine except that it is one color.

The RGB / W downlights that I see on Ebay look like this.  I see two types.  I do not see any mention of these lamps working outdoors or made for installation outdoors.

1 - uses an external RGB controller and has a wireless interface
2 - uses an internal RGB controller with a wireless interface.

These are probably 433Mhz wireless keypads.

There are WiFi RGB wireless modules that utilize both WiFi and 433Mhz.  You could upgrade the firmware on these to utilize Mosquitto.

RGB Downlamps.jpg

30 lights is a lot, even more so for 6" cans.  Are you certain there's need for that many?  That'd be an awful lot of exterior lighting.

roof is 60 ft long, 24 ft wide=168 lf perimeter, 6' spacing=28 lights. The reason for rgb is to be able to do some green red christmasy stuff, red blue 4th of july etc. the 6' spacing is probably overkill for ambiance lighting, but appropriate when I want 2 or 3 different colors.

gumbudah said:
... but appropriate when I want...

Yes, well, even for holidays that's a pretty excessive amount of lighting.  To each their own, I suppose. 

I'd still seek out local outdoor lighting advice.  One angle I hadn't considered with some outdoor downlighting from eaves was the impact that would have on the rooms directly beneath the light.  This advice led to moving a few of them to avoid illuminating the room inside when all that was needed was an outdoor wash effect.

If anything, for the infrequent number of holidays where lighting is typical, I've found it best to strategically place weatherproof outlets.  Like under eaves and porch ceilings; places where strings of lights would be convenient to terminate for power.  Tie those into a controlled wall switch.  I've even gone so far as to power them half-constant/half-switched, to allow for regular use of an outlet.

Yeah here one neighbor installed 12VDC white LED downlights from his second story soffits.  Multiple levels of roofs and he also installed uplights to the peaks.

Personally it was a bit much and for one home ~ 5k SF.

Other neighbors started to utilize remote controlled RGB lamps for their outdoor coach lamps and would change the colors of the lamps for the holidays.

This also looked a bit tacky. 

That said though here updating much to LED lamps. 

Testing RGB controllers and small test strips but probably will never use them.

Another new home near by built by a nationwide francaise owner ~15k SF two story with a 12 car garage to the rear of home used incandescent downlights every 4-5 feet under the second floor soffits.  This house had a large circular driveway with a large fountain ~ 30 feet in circumference.

The downlights made the house look way tacky and probably cuz they were way too close together.

Back