LED bulb shopping

pete_c

Guru
Made up a little drawing with various sizes of bulbs which is attached.

Another clear bulb endeavor here.  This time it was clear G30 / G25 bulbs (globes) warm white. (needed ~15).

Many charts show G types but no sizes such that I made a collage of sorts.

bulbs.jpg

I have read that the number of the bulb is the number of 1/8 inch measures in the diameter of the bulb (it's true of fluorescent tubes). For example the G611 in your photo is 1 3/8" diameter. I also noticed though that it does not apply to many of the bulbs pictured. Maybe that convention has changed.

Mike.

I just installed four 250 watt equivalent LED's in the flood lights about 20' up on the corners of our house. I don't remember exactly but they are well over 2000 lumen each and pretty nice. I'm also using 1100 lumen LED flood lamps in the 11' ceiling of the garage. They are pointing straight down at the ground and nice to work under.

Mike.

Nice!

Most people do not know that the number in the model is the diameter in eighths of  inches.

eg. a T8 florescent is 8/8" in diameter, while a T12 is 12/8", BR40 = 5" dia.

Just opened the box for my last order that included 18 G25 clear LED bulbs from last week. 

Color is right. Lets see how long they last.

Only 6 were in the large box well packed.   Called Amazon and they refunded the order and I placed it again.

They were very nice about this and I was really PO'd about this.  None the less now will have spares with 24 bulbs purchased at a good deal.

Also ordered a 24 pack of Amazon Basic LED lamps to test them out.

Been using Philips basic LED lamps. Build looks the same on the Amazon Basic lamps as the Philips lamps.

I have a light fixture in out attached garage that holds four 4' long fluorescent tubes that I'm thinking about replacing. It has broken bulb sockets and is a cheap fixture which is difficult to change bulbs. I kknow that I can replace the bulb sockets and fix it up but I;m thinking that I'd do better to get an LED fixture to replace it.

So can anyone recommend a ceiling mounted LED light fixture for a ~24' square area with ~8' ceiling? The 4 fluorescent tubes that I am replacing produce over 2k lumens each and I can't find that kind of output in an LED fixture. I've looked around the net and what I am finding does not compare to the 4 tubes in lumens.

Mike.

Here in the laundry room installed 1 4 foot indoor/outdoor LED tube fixture purchased from Amazon two years ago. (September, 2016)

Years now updating the main laundry room lighting...going from an incandescent two lamp fixture to a standard 2 tube 4 foot flourescent lamp to current 4 foot single strip florescent tube like LED fixture. 

Initial intent was to install multiples of these in the garage.

4ft 36W 5000K IP66 - Daylight

View attachment 8874

Paid $32.39 for these.

For the garage I would go with an 8 foot / 2 meter version of this lamp.  (old old garage had 4 rows of sets of 3 8 foot double florescent tubes)

What I used to test in the garage were multiples of these lamps which are way bright.  You cannot look at them as they are too bright.

Daylight in the garage with these and great to work on my automobiles. 

Duttek LED Ceiling Lights, 120V 18W 36 LEDs 6500K With 3 Magnetic Legs Neutral /Daylight White, Round Flush Mount Light at $11.99 each in September, 2016.  3 of these around the GDO spaced in a triangle around 5 feet from the GDO on the ceiling.
White white pure daylight piecing lamps.  For under hood and under car work DIY'd Cree 12VDC 20 watt LEDs which also are very bright and do not get hot.  These are the same size as the old halogen on stands (well replaced them) for painting et al.

View attachment 8875

Pete

Thanks for the input. I decided to replace the existing 8' tube lighting with the same. I had a nice commercial grade replacement in storage and hung that in place of the cheapo fixture that was in place. This was a lot less work than to install and wire outlet boxes for each of the new LED fixtures and it cost me nothing.

Mike.

I have gone two different routes with fluorescent tube fixtures.  In the basement, the fixtures and sockets were in good shape, so I removed the ballast (easy) and put in T8 LED tubes that are about 2400 lumens each (4800 lumens per fixture).

In the garage, I went with 4' long permanent LED fixtures without tubes.  The main reason for this was that they were less expensive at the time than doing a tube replacement.   The downside is that when the LEDs die, you replace the entire fixture. I use 2 fixtures in our 24' x 24' garage. It's nice and bright for my purposes, though if you are doing lots of car work another one or two fixtures might be nice to eliminate shadows along the sides of the cars.

I've been happy with these Hyperikon tubes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SSNPGSC

These are the permanent LED fixtures I went with.  Also happy with them so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074W8NMV8

Another option is to buy empty 4-foot fixtures without ballast and tubes and install LED tubes.  The fixture plus tubes is a little more expensive than buying the permanent LED fixtures, but you don't have to toss them when the LEDs die.  I'd probably go this way for the garage if I had to do it over again.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/192377/PLT-20014.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z8J8PH

Just make sure you buy the right type of LED tubes for the fixture (single ended vs dual ended).

Back